Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I don't like sweet meat... {Meg's 27 Sauce}

I never was into sweet on my meat. Sometimes a bit of honey with duck, but that's about as far as I will happily go. And don't even try to get me to eat a fruit-based sauce. It's just not going to happen. 

Therefore, I was never a fan of BBQ sauce. While my whole family would happily squirt BBQ sauce over everything, I was only happy with my bottle of Heinz 57 sauce. It was tangy, a tad spicy and very savory. It made everything I ate that much tastier. There was always a bottle in the fridge for me. And it truly was just for me - when I went back to visit my folks this summer, there was nary a bottle to be seen!

And so while my love for Heinz 57 was true and deep, our relationship had to come to an end when I adopted a clean eating lifestyle. If you've never looked at the ingredients list on the back of a bottle, here they are:

Tomato Paste, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Malt Vinegar, Distilled White Vinegar, 
Salt, Raisin Concentrate, Mustard Flour, Soybean Oil, Turmeric, Spices, 
Apple Concentrate, Guar Gum, Potassium Sorbate And Sodium Benzoate (As Preservatives), Caramel Coloring, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Natural Flavors.

Yikes! There's a lot of stuff in that list that I don't want to be eating!

I sadly finished the bottle I had, then immediately set about trying to duplicate the taste I so loved.

And I failed. And failed again. Over and over, recipe after recipe, I just could not get the taste right. 

Until today.

I wasn't even thinking about this sauce. I actually had thought about it in a very long while. I was just perusing BBQ sauce recipes, comparing ingredients and playing with proportions. I threw a few things together and mixed them up. Then I tasted it. And everything came flooding back. This. Was. My. Sauce.

So, if you're into the tangy, spicy and savoriness that is Heinz 57 sauce, you will absolutely love Meg's 27 sauce. {Tid Bit - 27 is my favorite number :p} Throw some together today - but be sure to double or triple the recipe as it's sure to go fast!


Meg's 27 Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup tomato puree
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
  • 2 tbsp molasses
  • 2 tsp tamarind sauce
  • 3 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
Method:
  1. Mix everything together well.
  2. Refrigerate covered for up to two weeks.

Nutritional Information (for the entire batch): 
  • calories: 500
  • fat: 25 g
  • carbs: 64 (net carbs: 58 g)
  • protein: 8 g
For those of you using My Fitness Pal to track your macros, this recipe is already entered in the database. Simply search for "Be Paleo and Thrive - Meg's 27 Sauce".

2 comments: