Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Healing My Gut {The Diet + a new fat bomb}

As if paleo didn't already take me some time
figuring everything out... :p

After reading through Diane's SIBO guide {as well as an uncountable number of blogs, forums and websites} I decided to do as she suggested and follow a real-food diet that combines principles from both the SCD and Low FODMAPs diets, all while sticking to my strict paleo template.

Essentially, this means I will be:

  • Saying no to all fruits, sugars and starches. {Starches here include things such as tapioca flour as well as sweet potatoes.}
  • Avoiding high carb veggies - as a general rule, those that grow underground will be off-limits.
  • Giving up nuts and cacao. I will finish eating my Chocolate Tahini fat bombs, given the fact that the amount of cacao in them is minimal, but no more after that. And, while coconut is technically not a "nut", I will be giving up coconut flour as well.
  • Drinking less coffee. I will drink a cup of bullet proof coffee in the morning, but will replace my morning ritual of sipping on two iced coffees with sipping on two iced black teas. 


That may seem like a lot of "nos", especially if you're new to the paleo lifestyle, so here is a list of what I will be enjoying for the next four weeks before I start reintroducing certain foods:



  • Low-carb veggies, which generally means those that grow above ground.
  • Quality protein, such as beef, pork, chicken, fish, eggs...
  • Small amounts of seeds, especially sesame.
  • Coconut milk and cream, as well as other healthy fats such as ghee and avocado.

I'm not sure how reintroduction will go as of yet, but I'm thinking along the lines of first coconut flour, then higher-carb veggies such as carrots, work my way up to sweet potatoes, then try berries and then maybe fruit. I have 4+ weeks to think all of that over though... :p



So, after all this, I decided to work on a new fat bomb. I took inspiration for my last one from Natalie of Primal Foodie, and while they were delish, they were also missing a little substance. I decided to take heed of what Alanna of Planks, Love & Guacamole has been telling us: coconut cream makes the best fat bombs. I looked through her IG feed for inspiration, and I read this blog post as well, for her Brazilian Craving Bombs, and finally I decided on the way I was going with my new fat bomb...

Oh. My. God.

These were perfect. They were exactly what I was looking for. Even before they hardened I was licking the spoon and loving it. These fat bombs are creamy, full of flavor and filling! I got 12 pieces out of this recipe, and after eating one, I was stuffed! And satisfied. I can't wait until I'm hungry again so I can eat another one...



So thank you, Alanna, for insisting that coconut cream was the way to go. As for the rest of you, go whip up a batch ASAP so you can see for yourselves! These can even be made into vegan fat bombs, if you like that sort of thing, by simply subbing more coconut oil for the ghee.

Coconini Cinnamon Fat Bombs

Ingredients:
Method:
  1. Melt together the ghee and coconut oil.
  2. Stir in the other ingredients.
  3. Spoon into silicon molds, or simply plop onto a plate, and place in the fridge or freezer until hardened.
  4. Enjoy one whenever your sweet tooth calls or you need an energy boost.

Nutritional Information (for the entire batch, no sweetener): 
  • calories: 1,163
  • fat: 120.7 g
  • carbs: 20.6 g (net carbs: 11.8 g)
  • protein: 13.1 g
For those of you using My Fitness Pal to track your macros, this recipe is already entered in the database. Simply search for "Be Paleo and Thrive - Coconini Cinnamon Fat Bombs".


No comments:

Post a Comment