Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Eating the Whole Plant {radish greens}

I used to think I hated radishes, but really, I just don't like store-bought radishes. I'm not quite sure what difference it makes, but every variety of radish I've eaten from the store has been too strong and too icky for me... yet every variety of radish I've eaten that has come from someone's home garden or my weekly veggie basket has been delicious!

Up until recently, I'd only ever had the radish root to work with. Then a beautiful bunch of radishes were delivered in my veggie basket - complete with their leafy green tops!

I was super excited by this because, A, I love {garden fresh} radishes and, B, I was going to get to try a new veggie - radish greens!

I scoured the Internet looking for a recipe to try but finally just decided to go the simple route - my basic mustard vinaigrette and chopped hard boiled egg on top of a bed of the leafy green goodness.

Verdict? The greens are just as yummy as the vibrant red roots!



Radish Greens Salad

Ingredients:
  • One bunch of radish greens (about 2 cups)
  • 4 average-sized radishes
  • 1 hard boiled egg
  • 1 tbsp mustard
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • Sea salt and black pepper
Method:
  1. Wash and chop the greens and radishes. Peel and chop the egg. Dress two plates with the salad.
  2. Mix together the mustard, oil and vinegar (a small milk frother works wonders here!). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  3. Drizzle the dressing over the salads and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment