Saturday, May 17, 2014

Cookbook Review {Food For Humans}

This is basically the Bible for paleo cooking.

I think of all the paleo cookbooks I have, I was most excited to get this one. I mean, Michelle of Nom Nom Paleo really knows how to build up the anticipation levels, and I already loved the website, so I knew this was going to be a good one.

The day it arrived, I just held it, not daring to open the cover so as to not damage it in any way.

My excitation soon got the better of me though, and I dove right in!

How beautiful are these photos? This book is a work of art!

Now, if you know me, you know I love cookbooks. I read them like novels. I stare at the pictures. I imagine how the dishes would taste. I dream up my own personal variations. I gather inspiration for future creations. Then, and only then, will I cook something from it. {If the author is really lucky, I'll even follow the recipe :P}

 I actually followed this recipe for Eggplant "Ricotta" Stacks -
and it was perfect! I sadly won't be eating it again though, as
nuts have made it clear to me that they are to be consumed in
small quantities if I wish to avoid pain and suffereing...

Nom Nom Paleo's Food for Humans didn't disappoint on any level. The pictures are beautiful. Many are full page and there are often step-by-step photos to guide you along. Each recipe comes with a quirky story as well as tips, either for a shortcut, ways to use leftovers...

The layout is so great as well! It's almost written in a comic book form and little jokes are sprinkled throughout. It truly was a joy to read and each time I pull it out for a recipe, I find myself distracted once again by the photos, the texts or the drawings.

Ever find yourself in this sort of situation? Now you know how to reply!
I think we should all print out copies of this and just hand them out to strangers who ask us questions...

But on to the food. This truly is a collection of glorious food. I have yet to fail at one of the recipes when I follow them {and if you are a regular follower, you know I never follow recipes} and every variation I've tried has also been a huge success. The steps are clearly explained and ready to follow, and when substitutions are impossible, Michelle explains why.

This is my go-to guacamole recipe now! Its so simple
and it's even 100% hubster approved! We fight over it!

And another plus for me is the lack of desserts in this book. There are eight delicious looking treats {I have yet to try any of those} but with over 100 recipes in the book, eight could be considered by some to be too few. For me though, it's perfect. My body hates things such as nuts and sugar as well large quantities of fruit, so most desserts just leave me feeling horrible. I love that the ingredient lists for these deserts are simple, that they are all low-sugar and finally that five of them are nut free. Score!

The key to having a great salsa is following Michelle's recipe.
It's delicious as written, and so easy to modify for a different
salsa delight each time you make it! It keeps well in the fridge
for a couple days as well, ready to spice any boring thing up!

The index also has a great feature: you can search for a recipe by the main ingredient or the name of the recipe... plus a special index sorted by meal type! The different categories are:

  • Building Blocks where you'll find sauces, dressings and spices;
  • Nibbles where all the snacks are;
  • Salads + Soups, and I hope I don't have to explain this one...;
  • Eggs with both snacks and main dishes;
  • Plants to fulfill all your side-dish needs;
  • Seafood including mussels, prawns and tuna;
  • Poultry including chicken and duck;
  • Meat including beef, pork and lamb;
  • Treats ranging from scones to bars to creams!

If you're looking for a cookbook ham-packed with easy to follow recipes that are simple enough for everyday, yet delicious enough for grand occasions, Nom Nom Paleo's Food for Humans is the cookbook for you! I'm already looking forward to the second NNP book... :P

BOOK STATS:

  • Number of recipes: 124
  • Recipes with photos: 100%
  • Number of nut free recipes: 96 {77%} Some salad recipes include nuts that could be easily omitted, so this number could be higher.
  • Number of sugar free recipes: 99 {80%} I included all forms of sugar in this count, even fruit, excluding lemons and limes.

To end this post, I'll leave you with three delicious recipes, all variations of a sammie inspired by Nom Nom Paleo's "Bacon + Guacamole Sammies". There really is no way to go wrong with this recipe - or this book!

Dig in and enjoy!

It was so hard to wait until after I had snapped a couple photos before
digging in myself... I even cooked up a couple extra slices of bacon to
munch on while setting everything up! These are really that good!


Egg Salad Sammies, Three Ways

Ingredients:
  • 3 hard boiled eggs
  • 6 pieces of bacon, cooked until crispy
  • 1/2 tbsp homemade mayo
  • 1/2 tsp yellow mustard
  • 2 tsp NNP's Holy 'Moly (or my guacamole, or your favorite)
  • 1/2 tbsp NNP's Salsa Roja Asada (or your favorite salsa)
  • Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Method:
  1. Peel and roughly chop the three eggs in three different bowls.
  2. To the first bowl, add the mayo and yellow mustard, season to taste and mix well.
  3. To the second bowl, add the guacamole, season to taste and mix well.
  4. To the last bowl, add the salsa, season to taste and mix well.
  5. Break each piece of bacon in half. Divide the egg salads between all 12 halves for open-faced sandwiches (easier to eat), or between 6 of the halves and close with the remaining 6 pieces.
  6. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment