Thursday, April 24, 2014

Whole30 Check-In {I'm lovin' it}


When I saw the image above, I was on Day 3 of my Whole30... and yes, I was feeling a bit homicidal. I was even wondering why in the world I ever thought I could or should survive without sugar. I wondered if I was losing my mind. Annnnd, I might have snapped a time or two at the poor hubster...

Then I woke up on Day 4 and remembered why I didn't need sugar. I knew I wasn't crazy to think this way. And I was super nice to the hubster.

I'm halfway through my second Whole30 now, and I'm feeling great. The hubster is being really supportive {probably because he was getting sick of my mood swings, the poor man} and I think certain family members are starting to accept the fact that I just don't eat sugar.

This doesn't mean I'm free from pushy {well meaning} people in my life, but I'm finding it easier to stay firm and not give in to foods that will do me more harm than good just to please others.

I have learned a couple things about myself and my diet already, as well.

  • I was a slave to the scale. For this challenge, I put the bathroom scale away in the hubster's closet... and found my eyes still went to the empty space where it used to sit every time I went into the bathroom. For the first couple days, I went to weigh myself automatically first thing in the morning. Now, I greet myself in the mirror and find something positive about what I see. I've learned to love myself - not a number.
  • I was depressed. I didn't realize it, but now that I feel so inexplicably happy, I know that I wasn't really happy before. Apparently, sugar brings me down big time.
  • There are some fruits I can eat sensibly and others I can't. For example, I bought some strawberries and ate them little by little over the course of a few days. I felt no adverse effects from this. On the other hand, I once ate a small portion of raisins... then I "needed" a dried fig... then continued by eating four prunes... then I binged on several handfuls of nuts. The dried fruit triggered major carb cravings - not to mention the hanger and mood swings that followed...
  • Speaking of nuts, I love them, but they don't love me. I find it extremely easy to overeat when it comes to nuts, and the effects they have on my digestive system, even when I keep the portions small, tell me they need to be few and far between.

I've seen many, many other improvements and I've learned other things as well, but I'll try to do a complete run down at the end of my challenge. For now though, I'll just leave you with this: I'm on the right track.


Head on over to the Whole30 website and start your path to better health as well! You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment