Thursday, April 3, 2014

Who was that JoJo guy anyway? {spiced PoPo's}

Believe it or not -
these are not made of potatoes!
I love JoJo's. When I worked in a grocery store, I would eat JoJo's from the deli nearly every day. And when I quit that job and started working in a local diner, I would go and visit my mother who just so happened to work in the bakery section of the aforementioned store... and make her buy my JoJo's.

I even got my Belgian boyfriend hooked on them. JoJo's don't exist in Belgium, so he found the idea a bit strange a first. He only needed one bite to be won over though!

And for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, let me describe the perfect JoJo.

A JoJo is a thick slice of a potato that has been cut into wedges. You must leave the skin on the potato for the JoJo to be a true JoJo. They have a delicious coating of spices and are baked or deep fried to a crispy perfection. hile they are delicious plain, they are even better dipped in your favorite sauce, such as fry sauce. And one thing is for sure - they are not good cold. You are best off enjoying them as soon as they are done cooking (though the leftovers are delicious heated up in a pan with fried eggs :p).

Another thing though... JoJo's are made of potatoes. 

My digestive system dislikes potatoes.

I still indulge in white potatoes from time to time, but they are far from being a dietary staple of mine. And sometimes I feel like having JoJo's without having the less-than-desirable effects of eating potatoes.


One such occasion, I just so happened to have a small sugar pumpkin sitting around, begging to be eaten.

I washed and dried the outside, cut it in half, then into thick strips, and seasoned it up like I would season JoJo's. Then I put them in the oven. And then I waited. 

Once they were cooked, I tried one. It was delicious!

I decided to call them PoPo's, as a reminder of their inspiration. These don't reheat very well, so I would suggest making a smaller batch if you're eating alone (I ate about 1/3 of my pumpkin) or just do what I did with the leftovers - mash them up and mix them into your next batch of mini breakfast quiche!

One more note - be sure to use a variety of sugar pumpkins because you can eat their skin. If you don't have a sugar pumpkin on hand, you can always use a regular pumpkin - just be sure to remove the tough outer rind before cooking.


PoPo's

Ingredients:
  • 1 sugar pumpkin (about 500g/1lb)
  • 2 tbsp of melted ghee
  • 1/4 cup flour of choice
  • 1 tbsp all-purpose spice mix
Method:
  1. Wash your sugar pumpkin, cut in half and remove seeds. (Save and roast!)
  2. Cut the pumpkin into thick wedges, at least the thickness of your thumb.
  3. Coat the pumpkin slices completely in ghee.
  4. Mix together the flour and the spices. Coat the ghee-covered pumpkin slices with the flour mixture.
  5. Spread pumpkin slices out on a non-stick baking surface. Bake 15-30 minutes, depending on thickness, at 180°C (350°F) until cooked through, turning halfway.
  6. Serve hot. Does not reheat well.

No comments:

Post a Comment