Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Spice it up {all purpose mix}


Spices are often misunderstood. Most people forget all about them, using only salt and pepper to season their dishes. Others, such as the hubster, put a little bit of everything into their dishes each time they cook. I guess you could say I fall somewhere in between.

Most of the time, I reach for my trusty sea salt and black pepper mills and let good enough be. Sometimes, I branch out and use one or to key spices to amp up the yum factor.

The there are times I need something really wonderful.

Most all-purpose seasonings found in stores will be full of sugar, additives and preservatives. As a clean eater, I avoid such products, preferring to buy whole ingredients.

I must admit though, it's nice to have a good spice mix on hand though, ready to be shaken over chicken thighs, to season oven roasted veggies, or to stir into homemade mayo with a bit of vinegar for a last-minute salad dressing.

This magic mix does just that and more.

This recipe makes a rather small batch, so feel free to scale it up as needed. I have a pretty small jar I use to store this mix, so the amount works great for me.

If you like things a bit on the hot side, feel free to add some crushed red pepper flakes or a bit of cayenne pepper. If you don't have celery salt, a bit of dried celery leaves with some regular sea salt should do the trick quite nicely.


All-Purpose Spice Mix

Ingredients:
  • 3 tsp mustard powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp celery salt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tbsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
Method:
  1. Mix everything together well. Use as you would any spice mix.
  2. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment