Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Simple can still pack a punch {cucumber salad}

While visiting my folks this past summer, I introduced them to many of my favorite meals here in Belgium that we don't necessarily eat in America, or at least not in my family.

One of those was this simple tomato salad, and another was the recipe I'm about to share with you now.

I first made this in America to accompany a BBQ - and I believe that was when I first tried it here in Belgium as well.

This dish is better the longer to sits in the fridge, so this is the perfect side to make ahead of time, making it great for BBQ's and family dinners because it leaves you with more free time before the meal to spend with friends and family - there's no last minute work to do!

I personally prefer this salad served at room temperate, so I always take it out of the fridge about 30 minutes before serving, but it's also quite tasty cold, fresh from the refrigerator.

It will even keep well for a day or two in the fridge, so you can make it the night before or make up a few batches for that weeks' lunches. 

Feel free to scale the recipe up as needed - I usually only make enough for myself because cucumber is one of the few foods the hubster refuses to touch! I'm not going to complain though - that just means there's more for me!


Cucumber Salad

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cucumber
  • 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Slice the cucumber. 
  2. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar, tossing to combine.
  3. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Serve or store in fridge for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment