Tuesday, April 15, 2014

No Poo Update {you missed the oil slick}

Well, actually...
I still like using baking soda as toothpaste!
I figure it's about time to bring you all up to speed with my no-shampoo-no-toothpaste habit...

I'm still using a simple baking-soda-and-water mixture to brush my teeth, and its still working marvelously. No bad breath, no yellowing going on, my teeth feel super smooth even just after eating... I'm loving it! (Plus, it's so much cheaper! I can get a decent-sized box of baking soda for about 1€50... and it lasts a very long time!)

My no-poo story is, well, a different story. Everything was going just fine. I was loving the volume, the shine, the softness... and the lack of product! I peacefully went to bed one evening... and woke up to the greasiest hair I had ever had!

I should have taken a picture, but snapshots were far from my mind at that point! All I wanted was to quickly take a shower and wash that oily mess away!

Now, you may be asking yourself, "How oily could your hair have been?"

Well, my friends, it was nasty oily. It was touch-my-hair-and-my-hands-came-away-shiny oily. It was helmet head oily. It was bad.

I searched the Internet for explanations, but apparently I'm the first one to have had this particular experience. (Oh, lucky me.) A great article written by Cave Girl Eats gave me a couple ideas (the water is very hard here), but nothing explained my oil explosion.

Needless to say, I'm back to shampoo. I'm currently using this one with this conditioner. It's by Avril Beauté, which I've spoke about before, and is a pretty good quality commercial shampoo. I wash my hair every Sunday, so I'm still able to go long periods between washings.

I'm not sure I want to try no-poo again. I would like to find a truly chemical-free shampoo though - or, better yet, make my own.

But don't let my experience discourage you! It works for many people, such as Cave Girl Eats and Primal Bliss. Give it a go - you may find it's your perfect hair solution!

2 comments:

  1. I had problems with that before felt hair was dry and brittle. Found out it was the hard water, I now use filtered boiled water and all is good I usually wash witj baking soda and apple cider vinegar once a week. Saying that I have my hair tied up most of the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips! I actually have very hard water where I live. I may give No-Poo a go again once I move (next summer). I usually braid my hair, so it should be fine for me, too ;-P

      Delete