Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Happy Back to Work Tuesday! {Scotch Eggs - something else with deviled eggs}

It's Tuesday, the day after Easter Monday, which translates to my first day back at work after SEVENTEEN DAYS OFF. It doesn't feel like I just had a 17 day holiday, but seeing how grown up my students seemed to look today makes me think it's true.

But besides all that, we're still just a couple days after Easter... and you probably still have a shizz ton lots of hard boiled eggs left. Maybe you tried out my Avocado Deviled Eggs, or maybe even my Salsa Deviled Eggs... or maybe you're plain sick and tired of deviled eggs and want something entirely different.

{The latter was the hubster, by the way.}

If that's you, you're in luck. I just so happened to have fresh ground beef sitting in my fridge and the hubsters' upcoming trip to Scotland inspired me to give Scotch eggs a go. {Do they actually eat Scotch eggs in Scotland? Or is it like Belgians calling steak tartar "filet américain" even though the USDA would crack down big time on anyone caught eating raw ground beef? But I digress.}

I read a few recipes, but I really wasn't into any of them. Then I decided to use a few of my favorite paleo inspirations to create a recipe that was uniquely my own {or should I say ours?}.

First up, Russ {aka "moderncaveman_au" for the IGers out there} and his amazingly fail-proof recipe for burgers. I use his seasoning guide nearly every time I make burgers. Or meatballs. Or meatloaf. I've even seasoned chicken thighs using these spices. It really is a winning combo.

Second, Ben Hulet {aka #coffeewithben for the IGers}. All of his food pics inspire me {and I've shared more than one coffee with him}, but I think the most life changing picture was this one where I learned that the best meatballs have their #sidestouching. Mind. Blown.

Third and lastly, I had to put a little touch of myself into this recipe, so I added a bit of {nut}Meg. I believe that little spice is what sends these bad boys over the top.

The meat mixture ended up so deliciously flavorful, I couldn't stop eating it raw {does it make me a cannibal if I love filet américain?} and it cooked up beautifully. And yes, these are hubster approved as well. They're that good.

Below is the recipe for one egg, only because I had 700 g of ground beef and used 7 boiled eggs, but since 7 is such an odd number for a recipe, I preferred to give you the amount for just 1 and let you decide from there how many you'd like to make.

And if you don't have eggs, these would naturally make killer hamburgers or meatballs. 

As for when to serve these, I made them with the intention of the hubster using them as snacks and/or breakfast, but as this picture proves, they are also quite tasty for dinner and are even "fancy" enough for a wedding anniversary dinner when in a pinch {happy 7 years and 1 day to us!}.

Happy #eggScotchin' !


MC Ballin' Scotch Eggs

Ingredients:
  • 1 hard boiled egg, peeled
  • 100 g ground beef
  • 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • A glug of olive oil
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste

Method:
  1. Mix together the meat, spices and oil until well combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
  2. Flatten out the meat as if you were making a thin hamburger and place the egg in the middle. Gently fold over the meat and cover the egg completely.
  3. Repeat as many times as necessary if making more than one egg.
  4. Place meatball(s) into an oven-safe baking dish (with the sides touching if you're making more than one) and bake 30 minutes at 200°C (400°F).
  5. Enjoy hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment