Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Gyros are Great! {Gyros Recipe}




When I worked in a diner during my teenage years, I used to eat the gyros meat almost daily. I would eat it burger-style with all the fixings. I would use it in grilled cheddar cheese sandwiches. I would top a huge salad off with a pile of it. And sometimes I'd even eat it as it was intended to be eaten, in a wrap with a yummy cucumber sauce.


Then I moved to Belgium and I tasted real gyros. This authentic meat had a texture and a taste that couldn't be matched! I found it hard to believe I'd ever liked the nasty imitation meat back home.


I ate my fair share of gyros and pitas and durums during the next few years. They were delicious and filling - and making my sick!


When I figured out that my body was waging war against gluten, I thought I was condemned to never eating gyros again! While meat is far from being off-limits, I could never be sure of the spices used in the little snack shops around here...


(I'm still determined to recreate the traditional Lebanese pita wrap I love so much - in a gluten-free version, of course. But, for now, I will stick to the plate version of this meal.)


One day though, I decided to give it a go. I decided to start simple, selecting just a couple spices, and to work my way up from there. Funny thing is though, I didn't need to change a thing.



Gyros Meat



Ingredients:

  • 500 grams (1 lb) of steak
  • Fat of choice for cooking
  • Olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp curry
  • 1/4 tsp paprika garlic oregano thyme
  • 1/8 tsp rosemary
  • Sea salt and black pepper

Method:

  1. Cut the steak into strips, turn the strips on their side, and pound thin with a meat tenderizer.
  2. Cook the flattened pieces of steak in your FOC until browned on all sides.
  3. Slice each piece of meat into strips.
  4. Add enough olive oil to coat all the strips of meat, sprinkle with the spices, and toss to coat.
  5. Serve hot. Reheats wonderfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment