Friday, April 25, 2014

Does this make me a hipster? {cold brew coffee}

I've been seeing Chameleon Cold Brew popping up all over my Instagram feed for a while now. And anyone who follows my blog or IG regularly knows that I'm a major coffee addict lover. {I already have two coffee recipes posted here and here for you, as well.}

Anywho, I figured that if everyone else loved this coffee so much, then it must be good, and, therefore, I wanted to taste it.

Then I thought to myself, "does this make me one of those so-called 'hipsters'?" I'd heard the term a few times before, but I wasn't quite sure what being a hipster entailed, so I decided to Google it and see what was up.

Definition:
hip·ster1
ˈhipstər/
noun
  informal
noun: hipster; plural noun: hipsters
  1. 1.
    a person who follows the latest trends and fashions.


Well, I guess if we follow that definition, I could, at times, be considered a hipster. I decided that it really didn't matter all that much though because coffee was at stake here!

I jumped online and headed to the Chameleon Cold Brew website... and, once again, had my hopes and dreams destroyed. Much like many other amazing products out there {Epic Bar, Pit Paste...} you had to live in America to find them in stores, or else pay exorbitant shipping prices to get them to where you were.

I didn't let this little bit of bad news bog me down for too long though. If I couldn't waltz into a store and buy a bottle of the cold stuff, I was just going to have to make some myself.

I researched looked at a couple recipes and decided on my technique: I was going to make a small batch of coffee concentrate in my French press {to help with the filtering process} using freshly ground coffee beans that had been roasted in a small shop just down the street from my apartment.


Don't push down the filter
if you use a French Press
like me - the coffee needs
time to soak in the water.
I also decided that I would figure out how to drink it later, as I am a Libra and can never make decisions. {I had plenty of time to decide as well because the coffee needs to sit for about 24 hours for maximum flavor.}

I gathered my tools and supplies and got to work.

The results was a rich, deep, delicious coffee concentrate, ready to be stored in the fridge and to be used as I see fit. This stuff is delicious as is {if you need a caffeine fix :p} or diluted about 50/50 with either water or your favorite milk.

And while the Chameleon Cold Brew site says you can also enjoy their concentrate hot, I personally find making a coffee concentrate at home to drink hot to be a lot more work than necessary. But, if you want to heat this baby up, by all means, feel free to do so.

But, if you're like me and simple want a tasty iced coffee, just fill a glass up with ice, add coffee concentrate to about halfway, then top off with milk, water or a combination of the two. Bam. Delicious in a glass.


Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate
save this

Ingredients:
  • 50-60 grams coffee grounds
  • 1 liter boiling water
Method:
  1. Pour boiling water over the coffee grounds, stirring well to make sure all the coffee gets mixed with the water.
  2. Cover and let sit for up to 24 hours.
  3. Strain well and store in fridge for up to two weeks.
  4. Use straight or diluted with milk and/or water.


And no, this doesn't mean I've given up fresh, hot coffee.

But, this does mean I can give up my expensive {and less-than-healthy-not-even-a-little-bit-paleo} Starbucks indulgences. This stuff is that good, especially with a bit of homemade coconut milk poured over the top! 

Not to mention, it's super quick to thrown together in the morning. No waiting for the Senseo machine to warm-up, then make my coffee... No grinding my own beans then waiting for them to brew in my French Press... Just open the freezer for some ice, pour over the coffee and milk, and go!

{Someone, please tell me why I didn't do this before?}

No comments:

Post a Comment