Thursday, April 10, 2014

Chemical Free Cleaning {unclog your sink}

I do a lot of home cooking. And though I try my best to avoid it, this means a lot of food bits end up going down my kitchen sink drain. Needless to say, my sink gets backed up pretty often.

Now, I could use chemical-loaded gels to clear the way and be done with it - I mean, those gels are super easy to use: just pour and walk away.

I prefer to use a chemical-free method I learned a whole back though, even though it takes a couple minutes more to do. It's still just as simple as pouring things down the drain, and I can rest easy knowing I'm bringing one less chemical into my life.

You'll need: boiling water, baking soda, alcohol vinegar.

That's it!

I use about 1/4 of a cup of baking soda and about 3/4 of a cup of vinegar for my sink. You may need more or less depending on how stopped up your drain is. You might also have to repeat the process a couple times, if things are really bad (sometimes I have to use a toothpick to help unblock the grill part at the opening of my drain as well).


All you have to do is:
  1. Pour boiling water down the drain (This loosens things up a bit, softens any hardened fats, etc. I use about 1 liter).
  2. Pour the baking soda down the drain (as best as you can).
  3. Pour the vinegar down the drain (slowly - you want most of the bubbly action to take place in the drain itself, not in your sink as this is what dislodges anything blocking the pipe).
  4. Pour boiling water down the drain (this clears everything out).
Easy peasy - and, as an added bonus, the baking soda helps get rid of any unwanted pipe odors! (PS - this works in the tub as well!)

Happy cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment