Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Annnd... I still have hard boiled eggs... {sweet & savory devils}

As we all know, the hard boiled egg fun continues loooong after the egg hunt has finished. This doesn't bother me one bit though, as I get to experiment with new and exciting deviled egg flavor combos!

I already have a recipe for creamy Avocado Deviled Eggs, and a recipe for spicy Salsa Deviled Eggs, so I thought I would go a slightly sweeter route with these babies. Since I'm about halfway through my second Whole30 though, I couldn't actually go the sweet route.

I looked in my fridge to see what I had to work with, and my eyes fell upon a bit of leftover red bell pepper and a bowl of grated carrots.

Perfect.

I got to work, chopping and cooking, and was very pleased with the end result! It's definitely savory, what with the egg, black pepper and sea salt, but it also has a delicious sweet side to it that is a nice change of pace from traditional deviled egg recipes.

The recipe below is for one hard boiled egg, but due to the slightly labor-intensive side of this recipe, I would suggest scaling the amounts up and making a few batches at once. They should keep just fine in the fridge for a few days, or you could serve them as a yummy appetizer or even as part of a kid-friendly lunch.


Or, as always, feel free to chop the egg whites up with the filling and use it as a spread, in lettuce wraps, on endive boats... this stuff is serious noms!

Sweet & Savory Deviled Eggs

Ingredients:
  • 1 hard boiled egg, peeled and cut in half
  • 1/2 tbsp homemade ghee
  • 1 tbsp grated carrot
  • 1 tbsp finely diced red bell pepper
  • 1/4 tsp parsley
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tbsp homemade mayo
  • Sea salt and black pepper
Method:
  1. Saute the the carrot, bell pepper, parsley and paprika in the ghee until softened.
  2. Using an immersion blender, mix together the veggies, mayo and egg yolks until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  3. Spoon into the egg white halves and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment