Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Take care of your nails {shine them!}

The first time I heard about this little gadget was when my cousin Manon told me about it after coming home from a shopping day in Maastricht.

It sounded cool enough, but I rarely go to Maastricht because it's not a city I love and I wasn't about to go there just for a four-sided nail polisher.

I forgot about it, and continued doing nothing to my nails.

I used to be an avid polisher. I would paint my nails every color under the sun and was always trying out new nail art designs. I was a do-it-myself-er because it was just too expensive to get them done professionally (my nails grow super fast so even going a week between manicures was stretching it).

I was so into nail polish that most of my students gifted me a bottle at the end of last school year!

Then I started getting annoyed by the time it took me. I needed to do my nails 1-2 times per week in order to keep them looking presentable - that meant a lot of time spent flapping my hands in the air, waiting for the polish to dry.

Then I started reading about potential health hazards linked to nail polishes. I decided to read the ingredients on a bottle of nail polish and realized I couldn't pronounce a single word on the label, let alone did I know what any of it was.

Before - dull nails and dry skin.
I then decided to stop using nail polish. (My sister received my entire collection, fyi. Go drop her a comment asking her for some snazzy nail art tutorials if you are interested in that sort of thing. She'd love to do some up!)

Unfortunately though, I stopped doing anything at all to my fingers and they, ahem, are looking a bit scroungy these days...

All that is about to change though! I stumbled across the four-sided nail buffer my cousin had told me about in my local Di. It was only 2€ so I grabbed it up, curious to see if it really did work as well as Manon had claimed it did.

Verdict? It works! It took me about 5 minutes total to do both hands and my nails are soft and shiny! And it couldn't be simpler, all you have to do is follow the numbers!
    After - soft, shiny nails! (and embarrassingly dry skin...)
  • Side one files your nails down (I also filed the ends of my nails a bit straighter during this step)
  • Side two smooths out the ridges left from the filing (don't forget to pass over the tips as well).
  • Side three polishes the nail (they looked pretty much like they did before I started after this step).
  • And side four makes every thing shiny!

Now I just need to start remembering to moisturize my digits and everything will be groovy...

UPDATE: It's been a couple weeks now, and my nails are still smooth and shiny, just not as shiny as the first day. I can actually see a difference between the bed of my nails and the tips - the bed isn't as smooth.

Also, my 1st and 2nd grade students (who like to hold my hands) have repeatedly told me how soft my nails are. :p

And no, I'm still not moisturizing my hands properly. :/

2 comments: