Friday, March 21, 2014

Simple can still pack a punch {tomato salad}


When I visited my family this summer in the states, we ate a lot of BBQs. And by a lot, I mean the meat portion of nearly every dinner was grilled on the BBQ.

And while I love meat and don't go a single day without eating it, I also love me some veggies.

Therefore, daddy, brother and the hubster were usually in charge of the proteins while my Momma, sister and I took care of the plants.

Sometimes we made slightly elaborate side dishes, such as Momma's super yummy green beans, but sometimes we just threw together simple salads.


One of my favorite simple salads to throw together was the tomato salad. This is a staple salad here in Belgium, but my family always raved over it each time I whipped it up.

You can get complicated and add shallots, onions, green onions, fresh herbs... or stay super simple like the recipe detailed below. Either way, this is a beautiful and delicious dude that is sure to please.

And, if you can tolerate dairy, the addition of fresh mozzarella will upgrade this simple tomato salad to a gorgeous caprese salad.

Tomato Salad

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium tomatoes or 4 Roma
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Wash and chop the tomatoes.
  2. Drizzle with the olive oil and vinegars. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
  3. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment