Sunday, March 16, 2014

Nothing's better than a burger {except maybe a zurger}

This "zurger" with all the fixin's is
served with a side of "PoPo's".
One of my husband's favorite meals is the good ole burger with a side of fries. He even has the quest of finding the best burger ever (right now it's a tie between a mom'n'pop place in Dixon, Missouri, called "The Homeplate" and a slow-food restaurant here in Belgium called "The Huggy's Bar").

I used to make a pretty mean burger myself (which is probably why he agreed to marry me in the first place) but since going gluten and dairy free, my burgers have been lacking.

I just can't create delicious burgers using 100% ground meat like our favorite restaurants can... my attempts always end up too dry and too dense. I needed to find a way to replace the milk-soaked white bread in my recipe - no one likes a compact burger.


Reading gluten-free blogs didn't help much - they used gluten-free bread and dairy-free milk. I prefer to avoid commercial gluten free bread because it is a highly processed commodity and I try to eat as clean as I can.


Turning to paleo blogs didn't get me further either - they mostly use some sort of nut flour to "lighten" things up. Unfortunately for me, too many nuts is never a good thing for my delicate system.

Once again, I needed to find a solution on my own, one that was suited to my needs.

After much trial and error, I found my solution: zucchini.

Now, theses are far from standing up against The Homeplate or The Huggy's Bar, but they are pretty darn delicious and get eaten regularly in our household.

The hubster uses regular buns, while I go for the lettuce wrap. We both agree though: all good burgers need thick sliced bacon, tomatoes, grilled onions and mayo.

Serve these up with a side of your favorite root veggie and you're good to go!

Zurgers
save this


Ingredients:

  • 250 grams ground pork
  • 250 grams ground beef
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 of a baby zucchini, grated
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 1/2 tbsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
  • Fat of choice

Method:

  1. Mix everything together thoroughly. 
  2. Form into four patties, pressing them thin (shrinking will occur during cooking).
  3. Heat your FOC in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties on one side until well browned. Flip and continue cooking until the second side is browned.
  4. Serve hot with all your favorite toppings!

No comments:

Post a Comment