Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Is Egg & Nut Free Possible? {Coconut Banana Bread}

After posting about my Aunt Debbie's banana bread, and sharing my egg-free recipe, I started wondering if there was any way I could make a nut-free version as well... 

A bit of research online quickly brought me to the conclusion that nut-free was possible, egg-free was possible, but that nut-and-egg-free was not possible.

Challenge accepted.

I decided to scale my recipe down, just in case it was a horrible failure (I hate wasting expensive ingredients!) and, to my surprise, the end result was delicious! I was truly expecting to have to play around with this recipe several times before getting it right, but I'm very pleased with the results!

The texture is a bit gooey-er than my almond flour version, but the slight coconutty taste more than makes up for it! If you can eat eggs, I think adding one to the batter would help improve the airiness of the bread a bit. If you do experiment with an egg, be sure and share your results in the comments below. 

This scaled-down recipe made 2 mini loaves, and I'm guessing it'd be enough for about 4 muffin tins. I ate one mini loaf hot, fresh from the oven and the second after it had cooled completely (yes, I ate the entire recipe by myself). Both ways tasted delicious, though the coconut taste really comes out as it cools. 

Trying topping a slice of this bread with some melted chocolate - if you're a lover of all things chocolate and coconut, you'll be in heaven!

Coconut Banana Bread (Egg & Nut Free)

Ingredients:
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • *optional: 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 1/2 tbsp coconut milk
  • 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
Method:
  1. Using a hand blender or standing mixer, mix together all the ingredients thoroughly, starting with the banana and adding each ingredient one-by-one until fully incorporated.
  2. Pour into a non-stick or well-greased baking pan and let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes.
  3. Bake 20-25 minutes at 180°C (350°F).
  4. Remove from the oven when a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Remove from the baking pan and allow to cool slightly before slicing.

2 comments:

  1. i just made this and it is sooo good! thank you for sharing! i did add the egg because i was afraid the bread wouldnt hold together as well, but next time i want to try the recipe without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks so much for trying it, I'm glad you liked it :)

      Delete