Saturday, March 29, 2014

I Work Out {Body Weight Workouts}

I've already posted my weekly workout schedule here, and I usually follow it pretty closely. Sometimes though, I'm going to be somewhere other than my home during the week... since my dumbbells are at home, it's kinda hard to lift them when I'm away.

If I can, or if I remember to, I'll shift around my schedule, thereby planning my cardio day for the day I'll be gone. Cardio can be done anywhere - I'll usually check out HIIT's Instagram feed for a quick but deadly Hiit routine. This Dexter workout is one of my favorites and really gets me pumped and ready to go.

Sometimes though, I forget to  switch things around, or I just can't for one reason or another. (Like, for example, when I go on 3 day field trips with my students.)

In cases such as these, I could just not exercise, but I could also exercise with the tools I always have with me: my body.

Body weight exercises are amazing in that you don't need anything except your body to do most of them, and the others only require simple objects like a park bench (or a dormitory bed). Also, you can make them as simple or as hard as you want, and you can truly go at your own pace.

For days when I want to get a body weight workout in, I'll just go to one of these websites for ideas. If I want to do a total body workout, I'll pick a move from each category. If I'm just focusing on upper or lower body, I'll choose accordingly. I usually finish off my set with a total body exercise, just because.

There are many other sites out there, these are just my top four picks. :)

And, as a bonus, here are three examples of body weight workouts I do when I'm away from home.

Body Weight Workout - Upper Body
  • 30 seconds of jumping jacks to warm up
  • Negative pushups (1-3 sets of 10-12)
  • 1 minute plank hold
  • Pike ups (1-3 sets of 10-12)
  • 1 minute plank hold
  • Triceps dips (1-3 sets of 10-12)
  • 30 Seconds of supermans to cool down
  • Stretch it out

Body Weight Workout - Lower Body
  • 30 seconds of mountain climbers to warm up
  • Shoulder bridge (1-3 sets of 10-12)
  • 1 minute plank hold
  • Squats (1-3 sets of 10-12)
  • 1 minute plank hold
  • Lunges (1-3 sets of 10-12 on each leg)
  • 30 Seconds of supermans to cool down
  • Stretch it out

Body Weight Workout - Total Body
  • 30 seconds of high knees to warm up
  • Joint-leg lifts (1-3 sets of 10-12)
  • 1 minute plank hold
  • Negative pushups (1-3 sets of 10-12)
  • 1 minute plank hold
  • Squats (1-3 sets of 10-12)
  • 1 minute plank hold
  • Triceps dips (1-3 sets of 10-12)
  • 1 minute plank hold
  • Lunges (1-3 sets of 10-12 on each leg)
  • 30 Seconds of supermans to cool down
  • Stretch it out

Disclaimer: I am far from being a professional, I am simply sharing what works for me in the hopes that it may help someone else achieve their goals. If you have a suggestion/correction, please feel free to let me know in the comments below. And, like with any workout plan, listen to your body! Go slow and do what feels right (but don't forget to push yourself a bit!).

No comments:

Post a Comment