Thursday, March 6, 2014

I love my weekly veggie basket {honey mustard tuna salad}

Sometimes I buy ingredients with a specific recipe in mind... and other times I receive ingredients I need to find something to do with.


We received a couple heads of bok choy in one of our weekly veggie baskets, so I needed to find a way to use it. I also needed a couple lunches for the week, as I hadn't bought enough chicken to make it through all five days. I grabbed a couple cans of tuna as my protein, I had the bok choy as my veggie... all that was left was finding a tasty dressing to turn this into a simple salad.

I usually go for herb-based mayo dressings, and while I still prefer those kinds, every so often I like to switch things up. I decided to go for a mustard-based sauce this time. And it was a winner!

You can use your favorite mustard. I used a traditional-style, whole-grain honey mustard and it was the perfect slightly sweet complement to the cool, crisp leaves and the salty tuna.


I would leave the dressing to the side for this salad, as mixing it with the bok choy ahead of time might make things a bit soggy by the time lunch rolls around. Also, chop the leaves into fairly small strips as bok choy has strings much like celery does.

Feel free to substitute whatever leafy greens you have on hand as well, or even to compose a mix of your favorites.

This dressing would also be delicious on other salads, so make up a large batch to have some on hand in the fridge!



Honey Mustard Tuna Salad

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp of honey mustard
  • 2 tbsp of homemade mayo
  • 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp of water
  • 1 head of bok choy, chopped
  • 1 can of tuna, drained
Method:
  1. Mix together the first four ingredients to make the dressing.
  2. Place the bok choy and tuna in a bowl. Drizzle with the dressing. Toss to combine and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment