Monday, March 17, 2014

Green eggs for breakfast {zeggs}


I'd heard about a lot of different versions of n'oatmeal (as in, "not oatmeal") using lots of various food stuff to replace said oats. The one I found the weirdest was the so-called "zeggs".

The idea is, you take zucchini, mix it with eggs, and you end up with an oatmeal-like concoction that you can then sweeten and flavor as you would regular oats.


I used to be a die-hard fan of oatmeal and I would start most mornings off with a huge bowl of the warm stuff (and would have to "refuel" one or two hours later as my blood sugar levels came crashing down, but that's another story...). My all-time favorite flavor was apple cinnamon, so that was the flavor I chose for my first bowl of zeggs.



The results were surprisingly delicious, and very filling (I ate these for lunch :p). I even managed to keep it tasting sweet while sugar free.

The hubster thought I was insane and kept looking at me strangely, but he never did like regular oats either, so what does he know? ;-)

The basic recipe is just grated zucchini and eggs, so feel free to experiment with any flavors that strike your fancy. And if you're put off by the green color, you can always go the chocolate route to cover that shizz up.

This is a great way to start the day. Or to continue it at noon... or to end it at dinner... It's just yummy whenever!





Apple Cinnamon Zeggs

Ingredients:
  • 1 baby zucchini
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 sweet apple (red or yellow)
  • 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/5 tbsp vanilla extract
Method:
  1. Grate the zucchini and 3/4 of the apple.
  2. Mix well with the 3 eggs, cinnamon and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
  3. Stir while heating to prevent the egg clumping together into an omelet. The zucchini should release a lot of water. Continue cooking until the desired amount of water has evaporated (the longer you cook, the mushier the zucchini becomes).
  4. Dice the remaining 1/4 of the apple. Remove the zeggs from the heat and stir in the apple. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment