Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Getting my Omega-3s & Vitamin D {salmon avocado salad}


I recently got some blood work done, and the tests came back fantastic! My doctor told me I am in "remarkably" good health (her word, not mine) and that she rarely sees results as good as mine. Nothing in the gray zone, nothing to keep an eye on, nothing to cause any concern whatsoever!

Except.

My vitamin D levels are pretty much nil. As in, quasi non-existent. Zero. Zilch. Nada. No. vitamin. D.

My body and the sun just don't get along. My body and supplements just don't get along. My body and food just don't get along. My body just doesn't make vitamin D efficiently. Period.

Well. What's a girl to do in that case?

My doctor told me to continue my supplements, to get lots of safe sun exposure, and to eat fish. Lots and lots of fish.

So that is exactly what I have been doing.

And although it might just all be in my head, I feel better. Less moody. Less depressed. I have more energy and need less sleep. (I still need 8+ hours of sleep per night, but hey, can't win 'em all!) I credit this to the fish.

Lucky for me, I love fish. Sadly though, it can be expensive (and don't even get me started on potential toxicity levels!). That is why I have chose to save "real", fresh fish fillets for my dinner meals shared with the hubster and rely on canned tuna, mackerel, salmon and sardines at lunch time.

With at least half of my lunches being tinned fish now, I need to shake things up a bit. The old tuna salad standby loses its appeal after too long... But the salads still need to remain quick and delicious!

Today I have a fresh tasting salmon salad for you. You could replace the tinned salmon for tinned tuna, or even a fresh fillet of your choosing (stick to firmer fish so they hold up well during the tossing). A sprinkling of red pepper flakes would add a touch of color and heat to this mild salad as well - have fun playing around!

If you choose to prepare this ahead of time, mix everything, leaving the greens separate. Toss the greens with the other ingredients just before eating.

Salmon Avocado Salad

Ingredients:
  • 125 grams flaked salmon
  • 2-3 tbsp of homemade mayo
  • Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 an avocado, sliced
  • 1/2 a lemon, juiced
  • 2-3 big handfuls of leafy greens
Method:
  1. Mix together the salmon and mayo. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  2. In a large bowl, toss together the salmon, avocado, lemon juice and greens. Adjust seasoning if needed.
  3. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment