Sunday, March 9, 2014

Dining Out Paleo-Style {Liège, Belgium - Chez Philippou}

As I said in this post, we don't eat out much. And when we do, we don't vary our restaurants all that much, either.

One of our favorite restaurants is Chez Philippou in Liège. We usually eat here with the hubster's grandparents and it's usually a Sunday.

We've been going to this same place so long, the owner knows us well and often sits at our table and chats with us for a bit.

On top of that, the main cook also happens to rent an apartment from the grandparents who he has known for over 30 years. When my husband and I first moved to the city, we rented his grandparents' second apartment - just across the hallway from the aforementioned cook and become good friends with him.

Needless to say, we might get a little extra attention when we eat there, and they often cater to every whim we may have (we may or may not ask for scampi or a couple pieces of calamari to added to a dish, for example).

But even if you don't personally know the employees, this is still a great place to eat - and there are many options available for those who, like me, have multiple food allergies.

The food is traditional Greek, family-style meals and the portions are more than generous.


The meal always starts off with an appetizer plate of house pickled veggies, usually olives, cucumbers, carrots, cabbage and peppers. This little dish is offered by the restaurant. The hubster and I always fight over the veggies - the pickling and seasoning is just right! Slices of baguette is served with this, but I just don't eat any.


Fish kebabs (white fish, calamari, shrimp, purple onions, green bell pepper
and cherry tomatoes) with salmon fillet, a huge side salad with homemade
vinaigrette dressing, a side of fries with mayonnaise for dipping and red wine.
The choice of dishes is pretty vast, but you had better like meat or seafood. I usually stick to one of my favorites: pork kebab, ribs, lamb chops or mixed seafood kebabs with salmon fillet.

You get two sides with each dish, and have the choice between a mixed salad, white rice, white beans or fries. I usually ask for two portions of the salad, though every once in a while I'll get fries or rice with a salad, if I'm feeling up to eating carbs.

I'll often indulge in a glass or two of red wine, or sometimes I'll just have water. It all depends on how I'm feeling that day.

I've never ordered a dessert there, except for coffee. Mamy, my hubster's grandmother, always gets my complimentary chocolate though (as most Belgian chocolates have milk in them, even so-called dark chocolate such as Cote d'Or's Noir de Noir).

Every so often I have a small glass of Metaxa, a traiditional Greek digestive alcohol because it's damn good and life should be enjoyed!

If you're looking for a great place to eat where the plates are overflowing, the food is delicious and the price is right, Chez Philippou is the place to go - especially if you are catering to special dietary needs!

Even a vegetarian can eat well here by ordering the Greek mezze - as long as this vegetarian isn't also lactose intolerant, that is. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment