Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Cleaning without Chemicals {a lemony fresh microwave}

If you're anything like me, you've ignored all the anti-microwave propaganda and you've decided to keep your trusty, food-reheating box. I personally love my microwave and use it every day to reheat my mini breakfast quiche and previously prepped veggies. (Sometimes I even use it to make of these or these tasty mug cakes!)

But, like me, you probably don't want to be putting a bunch of chemicals where you put your food. Microwaves can get pretty messy though, and need to be cleaned regularly in order to maintain a certain level of hygiene ;p 

This is a little trick I started using way before I ever even knew what paleo was - even in my pre-paleo days I tried to limit the toxic products I used around my food.

All you need for this cleaning trick is half a lemon, water, a microwave-safe bowl or mug, and a soft cloth. You don't even have to waste a good lemon half, either! Here, I'm using a lemon half I already squeezed the juice out of.

Simply place the lemon into the bowl or mug, fill about halfway with water, then microwave on high for 10 minutes.

When finished, allow the bowl or mug to cool for a minute or two, then carefully remove from the microwave.

Using the soft cloth, wipe out the inside of the microwave.


The lemon and hot water vapor breaks down any dried bits of food that may be stuck to the inside of your machine. All you're left with is a lemony-fresh scent and a spotless microwave!

If you're worried about sanitation, you can always wipe it down with a bit of vinegar after removing the food bits. This will do a pretty good job of disinfecting everything for you.

PS - This works for ovens as well! Just use 1-2 cut lemons and allow the water to heat until water droplets form on the inside of the oven. Allow to cool slightly before wiping clean - don't burn yourself!

Happy cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment