Sunday, March 23, 2014

Big Ass Salads are my Favorites {raw kale salad}


I love kale. If I was a plant, I would want to be kale so I could marry another kale plant and live happily ever after with kale for the rest of my life.

That's just how great I think kale is.


I first tried it as baked "chips". I thought it was good, but not amazing. I prepared it like this a few more times, but I got a bit bored with it and decided to try something new.


I sauteed it, following Ree Drummond's recipe. And I hated it. Actually, the hubster and I both hated it. I ended up arranging the wilted pieces of kale on a baking tray and making chips out of them. Again.


Then I read about how much Elana Amsterdam's boys just love raw kale salads. I figured I would give it a go one evening for dinner.

I fell in love.

The hubster only found it so-so. I wasn't sad though - that meant more kale for me!

Because this is far from being his favorite side dish though, I usually make it my lunch, topped with all sorts of yummy goodies.

Breakfast used to be my favorite meal of the day, but now I look forward to lunch all morning because I know my beloved raw kale salad is just waiting to be gobbled up!



And, because the leaves are so robust, I can make this salad up ahead of time and throw it in the fridge for a day or two. I actually gets better the longer the leaves "marinate" in the salad dressing (so Friday's lunch is always the best lunch of the week!).

If you don't have kale on hand (crazy, I know...), or don't like raw kale (even crazier!), you can always substitute your favorite leafy green. Just know that you're missing out on the ultimate of all yummy salads!





Raw Kale Salad

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp homemade mayo
  • 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
  • 1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • Sea salt and black pepper
  • 2-3 cups of shredded kale
  • 1 cup of preferred protein (hard boiled egg, tuna, salmon, shredded chicken, chopped ham...)
  • 1 green onion, sliced
Method:
  1. Mix together the first three ingredients to make the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  2. Wash, chop, dry and massage the kale (5 minutes or so of squeezing should do the trick).
  3. Top the kale with your protein, the onion and the dressing, tossing to combine.
  4. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment