Thursday, March 27, 2014

Belgians are Snackers {those little devils}

When I lived in America, I ate breakfast, lunch, an after school snack, and dinner. Sometimes, if there was a small occasion to celebrate, we'd have a dessert.

Then I moved to Belgium.

I observed people who ate breakfast, then had a small mid-morning snack {called a "dix heures", a "collation" or an "en cas"}. They would then have lunch, then, around two or three, another small snack {called a "collation" or an "en cas"}. Then, around 4 o'clock, they would eat again {this time calling it their "gouter" or "quatre heures"}. Then they'd munch on something before dinner {because a small "apéro" is necessary} then they would eat the actual dinner. A dessert or snack would follow later on, usually in front of the TV.

I'm not saying one country has better eating habits than the other, but all I know is my body wasn't used to eating that often - and when I fell into that pattern of snacking, the kilos piled on!

Then I realized one day at work that I was snacking out of habit and not out of actual hunger. 

The morning recess bell rang, my students rushed out to the playground, and I scurried around my classroom preparing the activity that would follow. I was so busy, eating was the farthest thing from my mind.

It was only as I was unpacking my lunch later that day that I noticed my mid-morning snack was untouched... and that I wasn't even all that hungry for lunch! I was simply eating at 10 o'clock because everyone ate at 10 o'clock.

I decided right then and there that I would only snack if I was hungry from there on out.

And you know what? I naturally went back to my old eating pattern: breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner. And, sometimes, I don't even need the snack.

But for those times when I do need a little something to keep me going until dinner time, I like to whip up one of these little guys. These deviled eggs are low carb with a high fat and protein content, giving me the energy I need - and they just so happen to be delicious!

Also, you can chop up the egg white and mix it in with the rest - BAM!, delicious avocado egg salad to eat on celery sticks or in lettuce wraps.

This recipe is a single-serving, meaning, one hard boiled egg. It's easily to scale it up though, if you have a bigger appetite than me, or if you're making it for a crowd. 

PS - it's delicious topped with prosciutto or bacon! I also love topping mine with red pepper flakes. Not only does it make them look pretty, but it also adds a tasty little kick to every bite!


Avocado Deviled Egg

Ingredients:
  • 1 hard boiled egg
  • 1/8 of a ripe avocado
  • 1 tsp homemade mayo
  • 1 tsp mustard
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
  • *optional: red pepper flakes or paprika to garnish
Method:
  1. Cut the egg in half, remove the yolk. Set whites aside.
  2. Mash together the yolk, avocado, mayo, mustard, salt and pepper.
  3. Fill the egg whites with the yolk mixture. Sprinkle with desired garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment