Thursday, March 20, 2014

After Dinner Treat {Bananoffee Shake}

I love coffee and I love milkshakes - put the two of them together and I double love them! I also enjoy after dinner treats, but caffeine isn't always a great idea so late in the day.

Thankfully there's a delicious substitute: chicory. The roots of this plant are dried and ground into a fine powder existing in two versions: either to sprinkle on top of your coffee grounds before brewing a pot of java, or to dissolve directly into a hot cup of water or {non-dairy} milk.

I have a coffee pot at work, but sometimes I just want a single cup of delicious warm liquid. Those times I reach for one of my tea bags, or my container of instant chicory.

And sometimes, as I'm preparing dinner, I get a hankering for something sweet. I'll quickly chop up a ripe banana, throw it in my blender cup, and put the whole thing in the freezer. Then, once the washing up is finished, I'll whip up one of these bad boys. It always hits to spot.

If you don't like (or can't find) instant chicory powder, you could easily substitute instant coffee or even plain cacao powder.



Bananoffee Shake

Ingredients:
  • 1 ripe banana, chopped and frozen
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 tbsp instant chicory powder
  • 0-1 tsp honey (depending on your sweet-tooth and the ripeness of your banana)
Method:
  1. Place everything in a blender and pulse until smooth.
  2. Add a bit more coconut milk to achieve desired thickness.
  3. Enjoy your cold and delicious milkshake!

No comments:

Post a Comment