Tuesday, February 18, 2014

They think my lunches are weird {Tuna Zoodle Casserole}

My colleagues have, for the most part, stopped peering into my lunch box each day, eager to see what "strange" thing I'm eating for lunch that day. You see, here in southern Belgium, everyone packs their lunch in a "boite à tartines" which translates literally to "slices of bread box". Lunch here is always bread based. That may mean something like ham sandwiches or hunks of baguette to dip in soup and or to be eaten with pieces of cheese. They just really love bread here.

You can always tell who is on a diet here, because they are eating a salad. But besides bread-based meals and salads, nothing else exists. (And those who eat salads are always complaining about how they wish they didn't have to be on a diet.)

Something else about lunches around here: they are always cold. Unless you drinking a mug of soup, your lunch is cold. 

Here's the thing about my lunches: they never have bread and they are usually hot. (And every time I get caught eating a salad, someone tells me I shouldn't be on a diet because I'm skinny already... Um, how about, salads are tasty?)

And I have a new favorite lunch to make ahead and pop in the fridge for the week. This recipe makes enough for two servings (for me), that I'll eat with a raw veggie on the side and maybe a piece of fruit as dessert. If I'm prepping for the whole week, I just triple the recipe. Easy. Peasy.

This is another comfort food I have recreated in order to enjoy it again! Also, it's a great conversation starter ("Why are your noodles green?!") and tastes delicious cold or hot (I don't always have access to a microwave). Plus, you can stir in any extra you'd like - think, mushrooms, fresh onions...


Tuna Zoodle Casserole

Ingredients:
  • 2 baby zucchini
  • 1 can on tuna
  • 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp dried onions
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 egg
  • 2-3 tbsp slivered almonds
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Using a veggie spiralizer (or a vegetable peeler) cut the zucchini into noodles.
  2. In an oven-safe baking dish, mix together the zoodles, the drained tuna, the coconut milk, onions, garlic, salt and pepper.
  3. In a bowl, whisk egg well. Pour over the zoodle mixture and stir to combine until you no longer see the egg.
  4. Top with the slivered almonds and bake 45-60 minutes at 200°C (400°F), or until the top is slightly browned and firm to the touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment