Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Great Outdoors {+ a fish fry}

I love nature. My favorite way to recharge my batteries is to go for a long walk outside, preferably with the hubster and the family dog. Hiking is not only an excellent sport, it is also a great way to discover new places.

I also like doing other things outside besides walking. One of those things is fishing. But since I only go fishing with my dad, it's not something I do very often.

This summer, when we visited my family, we went on a couple family fishing trips. We packed lunches and beers, bought worms and chicken livers, paid for our fishing permits and set off. We only ever caught crappy, but they still make for a yummy fish fry so we were more than happy with what we had.

And lucky for us, even though his tool of choice is the BBQ, Daddy fries a mean fish, and in complete simplicity.

His technique, while simple, is full of flavor and the resulting crunchy crust perfectly compliments the flaky fish.

I almost always cook my fish this way now, and love serving it with a crisp and cold veggie salad or coleslaw. Add a side of ranch for dipping and the meal is just perfect.

And each time I prepare my fillets this way, I'm reminded of our fishing trips followed by Daddy scaling, gutting and frying fish for the whole family.

Daddy's Fish Fry

Ingredients:
  • White fish fillets of choice
  • Tapioca flour (about 2 tbsp per fillet)
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
  • Fat of choice for frying
Method:
  1. Season the tapioca flour generously with salt and pepper.
  2. Rinse the fish fillets gently with clear water, then dredge in the flour, coating each side well.
  3. Add FOC to a frying pan, enough to have about a 1/4 inch layer of liquid, and melt over medium/medium-high heat.
  4. When the fat is hot, add the floured fillets carefully. Cook for 1-3 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillet, until cooked about halfway through.
  5. Flip the fillet and cook until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment