Thursday, February 6, 2014

Parsley Root {+ root veggie fries}

Sometimes I go searching for new foods to try... and sometimes I stumble upon them when I last expect it!
We were heading to my husband's parent's house for dinner and my mother-in-law asked us to swing by the grocery store on our way to pick up a couple things. Just as we were headed to the cash register, a label caught my eye: Parsley Root.
Parsley has roots!? (Okay, I knew the plant had roots, I just didn't know they were so HUGE!) I quickly grabbed a couple, determined to make something amazing with them.
In the end, I didn't make anything ground breaking, but I did make some pretty tasty fries to go with my dinner (as the rest of my family ate white potato fries). I made half parsley root and half parsnip and the mix was pretty tasty. Parsnips are slightly sweet, like carrots, and parsley roots are like a cross between parsnips and celeriac.

The key to crispy veggie fries without adding a coating is to cut them thin: think shoestring fries.

Root Veggie Fries
Ingredients:

  • 1 medium parsnip
  • 1 medium parsley root
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • Sea salt to taste

Method:
  1. Wash and trim the veggies. Cut in half, separating the thin bottom part from the thicker upper part.
  2. Cut each section in half lengthwise, then into thin, uniformly sized fries.
  3. Drizzle with olive oil and mix to evenly coat. Season with sea salt to taste.
  4. Bake at 200°C (400°F) for 15-30 minutes, depending on thickness. (Check often after 15 minutes because these burn quickly.)
  5. Serve hot with homemade mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment