Monday, February 24, 2014

Fudgy Flourless Brownies {Paleo}

Fudgy Flourless Brownies Paleo

So I was at my in-laws house and I got a hankering for something sweet. They don't have a pantry stocked with my usual allergen-friendly ingredients, but I knew there had to be a bit of coconut oil and cacao powder leftover from my birthday cake.

I started looking for these items, and after a lot of rummaging, finally found them. I pulled a few other "safe" ingredients out and set them on the counter... I was missing one essential ingredient though: flour.

Thankfully, I'm the type of person who doesn't stop once I have an idea in mind. I have to keep going until I arrive at whatever it is I was so determined to get.

Luckily, I'm pretty good in the kitchen and have a pretty good idea about how different ingredients will react with each other. I started weighing and mixing things together, until the consistency pleased me. Then I baked it.

All my mixing resulted in a super fudgy brownie. Sweet success was mine! Truly flourless brownies that were delightfully fudgy and decadently rich! My brother-in-law even thought they were from a box mix (which is the biggest compliment anyone could give my brownies)!

Fudgy Flourless Brownies Paleo

I find these brownies sweet - perhaps even too sweet - but I made them with my in-laws in mind, knowing they would want to eat some as well (and they aren't dark chocolate fans). I would personally prefer these with less sugar, so don't hesitate to reduce the amount. Start with 100 grams of sweetener, then add more to taste (taste the batter and add any additional sugar before adding the eggs).

I used regular brown sugar, but I'm sure these would work just fine with any form of sweetener as well, such as coconut sugar, organic cane sugar or even honey. (Read this great article about why you shouldn't worry too much about the type of sugar you use - just worry about limiting all forms of sugar.)

Also, these are delicious hot from the oven - but even better completely cooled! They really build in intensity the more they sit out. I'm sure they're be amazing the next day, but brownies never last long enough in my house!

Fudgy Flourless Brownies slice paleo
Fudgy Flourless Brownies

Ingredients:
  • 100 grams coconut oil
  • 110 grams cacao
  • 100-300 grams sweetener of choice
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
Method:
  1. Melt the coconut oil over a double boiler. Stir in the cacao and the sweetener to taste (100 grams for a dark chocolate taste, more for a sweeter brownie). Add the vanilla.
  2. Remove from heat and stir in the eggs, one by one, until the batter is smooth.
  3. Pour into a greased glass baking dish, spreading evenly.
  4. Bake 35 minutes at 180°C (350°F). Serve hot or cooled.

6 comments:

  1. What size baking dish did you use? How many servings does this make? Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't measure but if I had to guess, I'd say it was about an 8x8 glad baking dish. It made about 8 servings, but that all depends in how big you cut the pieces :) I hope you enjoy it if you make it!

      Delete
  2. I totally just wasted 100gr of cocoa and coconut oil plus some sugar.. My dish fell in the boiling water! Made me such in a bad mood. Starting all over later on, once I'm calm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! To prevent that, you can use a very small pot of water - the glass bowl just has to sit on it, it doesn't necessarily have to go far into it. The steam is what heats up the bowl.

      I hope they turn out alright! :)

      Delete
    2. It was just a poor choice of bowl because my mom had brought the one we usually use in the country! I was pissed at her when it fell in the water hahahaha
      I'm about to make a batch right now :)

      Delete
    3. I hope these ones didn't fall into the water :P Glad you like the recipe so much :)

      Delete