Friday, February 14, 2014

I love chocolate {and I make my own}

Homemade Paleo Chocolate

I've always been a huge fan of chocolate. My favorite was always dark chocolate, but all sorts were appreciated.

Once I started eating clean, I was appalled by the ingredients in most of my favorite chocolate bars. I got over my chocolate addiction, and stopped reading chocolate bars. I couldn't say goodbye to sweet treat itself though.

Sadly, here in Belgium at least, almost all chocolates have milk in them - even dark chocolate! And those that are milk-free are rather expensive...

I looked around the internet for a way to make my own chocolate, but every recipe required cocoa butter. I couldn't find any in my local stores and I rarely order of the internet. I wanted a way to make chocolate without cocoa butter.

Finally I found this recipe from Primally Inspired that used coconut oil. Yes! It was easy to make and tasted great! But, it was a bit pricey...

Recently though, I came across a recipe for chocolate using butter (I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it!). Butter is much cheaper than coconut oil! I quickly set to work subbing ghee in my usual recipe.


Steps to making Homemade Paleo Chocolate

The results were delicious. This is now my go to recipe. And the great part is the recipe below makes just about an ounce of chocolate (a bit more). It's therefore very easy to make exactly what you need.

For example, if you're making my brownies, simply multiply this recipe by 6 and you're good to go.

This makes a rather dark chocolate, more of a bittersweet chocolate. Using 20 grams of honey for every 10 grams of cacao will give you a semisweet chocolate, and 30 grams for every 10 of cacao will be a sweet chocolate. Adjust the amount of honey to suit your tastes and needs.


Homemade Paleo ChocolateHomemade Ghee Chocolate

Ingredients:
  • 10 grams of ghee 
  • 10-30 grams of honey
  • 10 grams of cacao powder
  • 1 gram of vanilla extract
  • A dash of sea salt
Method:
  1. Melt the ghee and the honey together. {Be careful not to overheat the mixture or the ghee will separate from the rest!}
  2. Stir in the cacao powder and the vanilla until smooth.
  3. Pour into candy molds, use in a recipe, spread on parchment paper, pipe in a line and break into "chocolate chips" when cooled...

No comments:

Post a Comment