Thursday, February 27, 2014

I failed and failed again... {mashed fauxtatoes}

I tried so hard to make mashed "fauxtatoes", but no matter how long I processed my cauliflower, I always ended up with rice. I just couldn't make it work.

Then one day, I got the amazing idea to try my immersion blender, to see if that would make a difference. Lo and behold - I had mashed fauxtatoes!

The texture is just perfect - exactly what creamy mashed potatoes are like! Now, the flavor is distinctly cauliflower, but it does make for a nice presentation and it accepts sauces and gravies very well. It's also a fun and different way to eat cauliflower.

The hubster doesn't like this preparation, but he's not a fan of cauliflower. I usually make him a side of mashed potatoes when I make this for myself.

Also, I use my pressure cooker to steam the veggie - about 10 minutes is all it takes for the whole head of cauliflower to be fork tender! 

This technique also works with broccoli and would be fun to serve to children as a way to get them to eat their veggies - who wouldn't love eating great mashed taters? :)


Mashed Fauxtatoes

Ingredients:
  • 1 small head of cauliflower
  • 1 tbsp of ghee
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Clean and cook the cauliflower until tender, using your method of choice.
  2. Blend until smooth, using an immersion blender.
  3. Stir in ghee and season with salt and pepper.
  4. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment