Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Hubster has great ideas sometimes {stuffed eggplant}



My husband rarely cooks, but when he does, it's usually something extraordinary! He goes all out with an amazing idea or two and creates a delicious, one-of-a-kind meal... as well as a huge mess in the kitchen for yours truly to clean up later...

So, most times, I just ask him to describe his idea to me and to let me do the cooking - I practice a clean-as-you-go technique, and usually all that is left to do at the end of a meal is wash up the cooking pans and load the plates into the dishwasher.

One day he came home saying he had big plans for the eggplant in our fridge... I immediately envisaged the mess waiting for me and asked him what he had in mind. "Stuff it," was his answer.

Hmm. Ok. I can stuff it. And I set to work.

I was expecting a good dish, but what I ended up with was a great one! This was so good, I even found myself eating the raw meat mixture by the spoonful!

I did end up with too much meat (yes, even with the spoonfuls I ate raw!) so I stuffed some mushrooms I had and cooked them alongside the eggplant. You could also just cook up meatballs, or put all the mixture into a loaf pan for a delicious meatloaf. Putting the meat into the eggplant skins is really just a matter of presentation.

Stuffed Eggplant serves 2

Ingredients:
  • 1 eggplant
  • Olive oil
  • Sea salt and black pepper
  • 200 grams ground beef
  • 200 grams ground pork
  • 1 egg
  • 3 large button mushrooms
  • 1 onion
  • 1 tbsp parsley
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup almond meal/flour
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
Method:
  1. Cut the eggplant in half and brush generously with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then bake 15-30 minutes, or until fork tender, at 180°C (350°F). Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
  2. Meanwhile, thinly slice the mushrooms and onion. Cook over medium heat in a bit of olive oil until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are tender. Set aside to cool.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix together the beef, pork, egg, parsley and garlic. Add the mushrooms and onions. Using a spoon, empty the eggplant skins, adding the flesh to the meat mixture.
  4. Mix well, adjusting the seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
  5. Spoon the mixture into the eggplant skins (or into the mushrooms, our into the loaf pan...).
  6. Mix together the almond meal and 1 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle this mix over the top of the meat.
  7. Place in oven and bake 45-60 minutes at 180°C (350°F) or until the meat is cooked through and the topping is browned and crunchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment