Monday, February 17, 2014

He hates bananas {but loves banana cream pie}




Okay, I might be exaggerating when I say he hates bananas, but the hubster will never be caught eating just a banana by itself. His favorite part of a fruit salad is the banana though, but only after macerating in the fruity juice for a few hours.

He's more of a pineapple and kiwi kind of guy. Oh, and apples, but not if he has to bite into them whole (I must first slice them up for him, or "prepare" them in some way).

One day though, our friend Daisy made a banana cream pie. Hubster had one bite of her delicious pie and was hooked. This was officially his favorite dessert.

I got the recipe from Daisy and I made the pie many, many times after that. This was also the dessert I brought when we were invited somewhere and everyone loved it. Banana cream pries are pretty uncommon here in Belgium, and it made me kind of famous.

Then, BAM. I find out I can't digest dairy or gluten. This pie just so happened to have an amazing crust made of speculoos and the cream part was a true pastry cream... 


I still made the pie once or twice for him, but I felt left out. I really liked this pie, too! So I went looking for a paleo recipe... I settled on trying Elana Amsterdam's recipe.

I found it delicious, but I had to agree with my husband - it wasn't the banana cream pie we both loved so much. The problem was the cream - it was a banana cream, and not a pastry cream.


I had pretty much given up on the recipe, until one day I decided to attack it again. And I won. It's delicious! The taste is so close to the original, too. The hubster likes it as well.

And I don't feel left out anymore =)


Walnut Speculoos Crust

Ingredients:
  • 200 grams walnuts
  • 1 tbsp ghee
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp speculoos spices*
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • Dash of sea salt
Method:
  1. In a food processor, blend together all the ingredients until the walnuts become a fine meal and everything begins to stick together.
  2. Press the mixture into the bottom of a pie pan.
  3. Bake 5-10 minutes at 180°C (350°F) until set and lightly browned. Remove and let cool.
*If you don't live in a country that has speculoos spices, you can substitute any spice mix you like, such as apple pie spice or allspice, or even just use plain cinnamon.

Almost Daisy's Banana Cream Pie

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups coconut milk
  • 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 bananas
  • 1 walnut speculoos pie crust
Method:
  1. Mix together the milk and the vanilla, heat over medium heat until barely simmering.
  2. Whisk together the yolks, honey and flour until smooth.
  3. Slowly add a few spoons of the hot milk to the yolks, whisking well to combine.
  4. Slowly pour the yolk mixture into the milk mixture, whisking to combine. Continue heating until the cream boils, whisking all the while.
  5. When thickened, remove from heat and whisk in the remaining vanilla extract. Allow to cool slightly.
  6. Slice the bananas and line the bottom of the pie crust with them.
  7. Pour the cream over the top. Allow to cool, then refrigerate before serving. This pie tastes best the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment