Sunday, February 2, 2014

Food Prep {slow cook a whole chicken}

The hubster gifted me Nom Nom Paleo's Food For Humans this Christmas - and I have been devouring it's pages! I decided it was time to actually start devouring the food I could make using these pages, so I opened it, looking for the lucky recipe I was about to try.

I fell upon the recipe Slow Cooker Chicken & Gravy. Perfect! I just so happened to have a whole chicken in the fridge, needing to be cooked for this week's lunches! But then I read the ingredients, and my hopes came crashing down.

Besides the chicken and slow cooker, I didn't have anything needed to make this recipe!

But I still needed to cook that chicken.

I decided to let the recipe guide me, and made substitutions as best I could. I even included my "secret" ingredients - anchovy paste.

The result was delicious.

The chicken was fall-off-the-bone juicy and the sauce really added a punch of umami. My substitutions were spot-on, and, lucky you, I'm going to share them today!


Slow Cooker Chicken & Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 1 whole chicken
  • 2 tbsp of ghee
  • 8 outer leaves of green cabbage, diced
  • 6 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
  • 1 tbsp of tomato concentrate
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
  • 2 chopped anchovy fillets, or a good squeeze of anchovy paste
  • Sea salt and black pepper
Method:
  1. Melt the ghee in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the cabbage, garlic, tomato concentrate, and Italian seasoning, stirring to mix. Cook until the cabbage softens.
  2. Add the water to the frying pan and scrape the bottom to remove all the pieces. Transfer the cabbage to a slow cooker and add the anchovies.
  3. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on all surfaces. Place breast-down on the cabbage, cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
  4. When cooked through, remove the chicken and place on a cutting board to rest while you blend the sauce until smooth using an immersion blender.
  5. Cut the chicken and serve with the sauce and a side of mashed root veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment