Saturday, February 8, 2014

Clean Eating is Great {except there's no Ranch Dressing}

My husband and I said goodbye to our beloved Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix packets over a year ago, when we first started eating clean. In fact, it was the hardest "food" to say goodbye to, and seemingly impossible to replace or imitate.

We had tried tons of recipes, each one failing to taste even remotely Ranch-like. I didn't give up though, testing each new recipe I stumbled across.

One day though, I decided to study the recipes rather than make them. What spices did they have in common? What did Ranch Dressing "need"? I also consulted the back of a mix pack via internet and put everything I had found it on my counter top, linking up the different spices in the order of importance I thought they should have in my dressing.


Then I started mixing.

Guess what? I got it right the first time.

Now maybe it's just been too long since I've had "real" Ranch Dressing and I've forgotten what it tastes like. Maybe I'm completely off-base when I say this is perfect. But maybe not. You be the judge.

All I know is, my husband and I ate the entire batch in one sitting. (On potato chips - shhh, I know, potato chips aren't paleo, but plain potato chips and Ranch go so perfectly together!)

Dip veggies in the stuff. Drizzle it over pizza or spaghetti. Drench your salads in it. Eat it straight from the jar. Any way you choose to use it, this dressing is a sure winner.

Paleo Real-Deal Ranch Dressing

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup homemade mayo
  • 1/3 cup full-fat canned coconut milk, shaken
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp parsley
  • 1 tsp dried onion
  • 1/2 tsp chives
  • 1/4 tsp dill
  • 1/4 tsp garlic
  • 1/8 tsp paprika
  • 1/8 tsp mustard powder
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Add all ingredients to a jar.
  2. Seal and shake to mix thoroughly.
  3. Let the flavors meld at least one hour before using, on the counter our in the fridge.
  4. Store leftover dressing in the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. Planning on making this with raw veggies for a Chrismas brunch with my class :)

    ReplyDelete