Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Clean Eating at the In-Laws' {Tuna Borlonais}

My in-laws have been wonderful with me and my dietary needs. They special-made meals catered to my picky delicate palate when I first arrived in Belgium (luckily, there are very few foods I don't like now) and since I've gone gluten and dairy free, they've done their best to create meals I can enjoy as well when they know I'll be eating with them.

I usually only eat dinner at their house nowadays, since the hubster and I have moved out and gotten a place of our own in the big city, but every so often I find myself there around lunch time. Everyone else in the house just grabs the box of sandwich fixin's from the fridge and defrosts a couple slices of bread, but I can no longer do that. I have to prepare something special for me.

I've therefore created an easy, throw-together type tuna salad that I eat nearly every lunch time spent at their house. They almost always have the ingredients needed to make it, and if not, I improvise a bit with what I find in their fridge and pantry.

It may not be that pretty to look at, but it's always simple, always fast and always delicious - just the way food should be!


Tuna Borlonais

Ingrdients:
  • 1 can of tuna, drained
  • 2 tbsp of yellow mustard
  • 1 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar
  • 1 carrot, sliced
  • 5-10 green olives, sliced
  • 2 anchovy fillets, diced
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
  • *optional add-ins: artichoke hearts, cucumber, bell peppers, hard boiled egg, tomato...
Method:
  1. Mix together all the ingredients and season to taste.
  2. Eat immediately (this is great in lettuce wraps or just as-is). Leftovers may be kept in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment