Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Cabbage is gross {+ a coleslaw recipe}

I used to hate cabbage, or at least I thought I did. Then I moved to Belgium and tried my very first, real, dönör kebab.

Turns out, I really like cabbage - I just don't like it when it tastes sweet.

While living in America, the only way I had ever tried cabbage was in coleslaw. And every time I tried coleslaw, it was always sickly sweet.

But now that I like cabbage (and receive it regularly in my weekly veggie basket), I needed to find a couple ways to prepare it.

And thus, my simple coleslaw was born. It's not sweet in the least, but just a tad tangy. It's super crunchy and therefore satisfying to eat, and keeps well in the fridge, making it perfect for prepping early in the week.

I usually just make it using only white cabbage, but it's also delicious with julienne carrots or sliced red cabbage mixed in. Sometimes, for an added kick, I add a bit of sriracha sauce.



Creamy Coleslaw

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 a small white cabbage, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 heaping cup of homemade mayo
  • 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
  • 1 shallot, thinly sliced
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Method:
  1. In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, vinegar, salt and pepper.
  2. Place the cabbage and shallot in a large bowl. Pour the mayo mixture over the top and toss to combine. Adjust the seasoning if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment