Sunday, February 16, 2014

Brussels Sprouts come from Brussels {bacon makes them delicious!}

If you follow this blog any, or if you follow me on Instagram, you know that I love bacon. Actually, I say I love a lot of things, and I do, but I really, really love bacon.

I also really like Brussels Sprouts. I always thought I didn't, but, to be honest, I had never tried them. (The hubster did this to me once with guacamole. He SWORE up and down that he hated the stuff - then one day he actually tasted it and discovered he loved it. Go figure.). I had heard all sorts of horror stories concerning these little green guys, and, quite frankly, I was a bit scared to try them.

One day though, our friendly Greek neighbor (who we no longer live next to) brought over a huge dish of them for us (we miss his meals that were always prepared with such love for us!). I smiled politely, thanked him warmly, took the Pyrex baking dish from his hands, and gently closed the door.

Then I panicked.

What the heck was I gonna do with 2 pounds of cooked Brussels Sprouts?!

I waited until my husband got home before making a decision. I did well to wait, because his idea was a very good and logical one. Eat them.

I prepared the rest of our evening meal, then heated up a tiny little portion of the baby cabbages "to try".

I think I finished off the dish that very evening.

Turns out, I love Brussels Sprouts! As for the hubster, he only likes them, so I had to find a way to make them lovable.

Bacon. I would add bacon.

And thus was born this tasty and simple recipe. I of course had to stick with the Belgian theme and add a bit of my favorite mustard, Bister L'impériale, but you can substitute your favorite mustard if you aren't lucky enough to have access to this particularly tasty brand.


Bacon Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb (500 g) Brussels Sprouts, quartered
  • 4 1/2 oz (125 g) bacon, chopped
  • 1 tbsp FOC, melted
  • 1 tbsp Bister L'impériale Mustard
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Mix together the fat and the mustard in an oven-safe dish. 
  2. Add the Brussels Sprouts and the bacon, stir to coat.
  3. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Bake at 200°C (400°F) for 30-45 minutes, or until tender. (Stir every 15 minutes if you don't want browned bits.)
  5. Serve immediately. Reheats wonderfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment