Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Aunt Debbie's Banana Bread is the Best {+ my recipe}

If you want a really great banana bread recipe, ask my Aunt Debbie. Hers knocks all others out of the park. It's full of yummy banana flavor, it's moist without being gummy, it's not overly sweet, and it tastes absolutely divine slightly warmed and topped with a pat off salted butter (or, my favorite, toasted and used as bread for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich).

Sadly, this amazing bread was also part of the food cocktail that was busy tearing me up inside. Full of white flour and butter, I just couldn't stomach a single slice more - literally.

Something had to happen though. I couldn't just go the rest of my life never eating banana bread again. Banana bread is one of my biggest comfort foods. Momma would make Aunt Debbie's recipe quite often, and, when I moved out, I would make up huge batches of banana bread muffins to freeze and munch on for breakfast and snacks.

I tried many recipes, all of which failed miserably to meet the high standards set by Aunt Deb... until one amazing, jump-for-joy, day.

Now, I'm not saying this recipe is just as good as hers, and it certainly isn't better, but it's so close to the original - without all the digestive issues - that it makes my heart sing with gladness! Each and every time I sink my teeth into a slice of this banana bread, I'm reminded of eating it as a child and of all the great memories I had growing up.

And, to put a cherry on the {banana} cake, this one just so happens to be egg-free! So, people with egg allergies and vegans alike can rejoice in this delicious bread with us cave people! Also, if your bananas are very ripe, there's no need for added sweetener! Egg-free and sugar-free!

I have baked this recipe split between 1-3 loaf pans and also in a regular sized bundt cake pan (half-full) with no problems, so feel free to use what you have.

Also, the olive oil can be switched out for any form of liquid fat. I found the tip for using olive oil in baked goods on an Italian chef's website awhile ago and haven't looked back since! It really does give each finished treat just the little "something" you can't quite put your finger on.

Almost Aunt Debbie's Banana Bread

Ingredients:
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • *optional: 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup "milk" of choice
  • 1/4 cup liquid fat of choice, like ghee
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/2 cup almond meal/flour
  • *optional: small handful chopped dark chocolate
Method:
  1. Using a hand blender or standing mixer, mix together all the ingredients thoroughly, starting with the bananas and adding each ingredient one-by-one until fully incorporated.
  2. Stir in the chopped chocolate, if using.
  3. Pour into a non-stick or well-greased baking pan and bake 30-45 minutes at 180°C (350°F).
  4. Remove from the oven when a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Remove from the baking pan and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhhh.....Thank you for the dedication Meggie.......I am not a bragger on anything but I must say my banana bread is the best I've tasted too. I am glad you could make one you can eat. I will have to make it myself. I think I will definitely put in the honey. I've been using raw creamy honey in some of the paleo recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there is one thing you could brag about, it's your banana bread! This version is pretty good too though =)

      Delete