Monday, January 20, 2014

You say potato, I say... well, potato. {+ a yummy mash}

I spent about 9 years of my life living in Idaho, USA. If you don't know or have never been to this state, you're missing out. It truly is a beautiful, wild place to live, known for its abundant wildlife, Rocky Mountains, thriving forests, dry deserts, and clear rivers.

And Idaho is also known for its potatoes. (Did you know that Idahoans aren't the only ones that love Idaho potatoes? About 8% of the potatoes grown there are shipped out to Five Guys restaurants all over the globe!) I spent a good part of the 9 years I lived in Idaho eating potatoes. I also spent most of that time feeling horrible.

Turns out potatoes hate me and find it funny to wreak havoc on my digestive system. Thanks, potatoes. But not really.


I've since needed to find replacements for some of my well-loved dishes, such as fries, scalloped potatoes, and, most of all, loaded mashed potatoes, which is the dish I will share with you today.

Lucky for me, many paleo-friendly veggies are out there to help me. This time around, I chose to use two parsnips and one parsley root, but any of your favorite root veggies will work perfectly for this recipe. Feel free to experiment, not only with the veggies you include, but also with the toppings. 

You can also just eat the veggie mash as is, leaving out the cashew cream and topping. Really, the sky is the limit here.

This little veggie mash went perfectly with my simple dinner of olive-stuffed sausages and olive oil drizzled tomato quarters. And the best part? The recipe makes enough for leftovers - hello delicious lunches!

  

Loaded Root Veggie Mash
Ingredients:
  • 500 grams of your favorite root veggies (about 1 lb)
  • 1/4 cup cashews
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1 1/2 tbsp ghee
  • Sea salt and black pepper
  • 50 grams of sugar-free bacon
  • 1 green onion
Method:
  1. Peel, cut and steam the root veggies until fork tender. Mash and set aside.
  2. Cut the bacon into smallish pieces and cook over medium-low heat until crispy. Set aside.
  3. Thinly slice the green onion. Set aside.
  4. Blend together the cashews, water and ghee until smooth using an immersion or regular blender to make a cashew "cream". Stir this, the bacon bits and the onion into the mashed veggies.
  5. Divide the veggies into 4 small baking dishes, or put all into one medium-sized baking dish, running a fork through the top of the mash to create ridges. Bake for 20 minutes at 180°C (350°F), or until the tips of the mash begin to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment