Friday, January 3, 2014

Whole30 & why I need it {+ Chocolate Bulletproof Coffee}

When I first discovered the paleo diet, I followed it to a "T" - I ate lots of meat, veggies and healthy fats, some fruit and every now and then I'd have some nuts or seeds. And I felt fantastic.
Then I went on vacation to visit my family in America for a month. There, I discovered the world of gluten free cookies, dairy free ice cream, restaurants with special menus... I ate any and everything I could get my hands on, because hey - I was on vacation! I'd go back to eating like before once I went back home... 

Credits and/or recipes for each of these
can be found on my Instagram account
@bepaleoandthrive
That didn't end up happening. I returned to Belgium, where catering to special diets is pretty much nonexistent, and proceeded to buy all the specialty ingredients needed to recreate my favorite foods that I could no longer enjoy.

I started baking and became pretty dang good at it. Too good in fact. I had once again fallen into my past eating habits and with that came flooding back many of my former symptoms: acne, bloat, mood swings, weight gain, fatigue... 

This is what I
not-so-affectionately
call a Fructose Baby.
I luckily managed to get back on track, and most of my problems have once again disappeared, but a fruit-filled dessert at New Year's revealed that even natural sugars take a toll on my body.

I'll be following along with StupidEasyPaleo's Whole30 as a way to reboot completely and get my body back to functioning as it should. (Read more about the Whole30 program here.) I'll also try to post Whole30 compliant recipes this month, to help anyone who might need an idea or two.
As a parting gift, I will leave you with a simple recipe that got me going this morning and that just might make a regular appearance at breakfast time.  




Chocolate BulletProof Coffee
save this recipe

Ingredients:

-8oz of your favorite coffee
-1/2 tsp pure cacao powder
-1 tbsp ghee (or butter, if you can tolerate it)


Method:

Soften the ghee in the microwave a bit, if it's not already at room temperature.

Mix the cacao and the ghee together, then add to your coffee.

If you're fancy and own one of those handheld milk frothers, use that to mix the ghee into the coffee. If you're like me, just take a spoon and stir quickly. (If I'm feeling especially motivated, I use my immersion blender to make it frothy.)

Drink and enjoy the buttery, chocolatey taste!

To learn more about the BulletProof Coffee concept, visit BulletProofExec.com where you'll find all you need to know!

P.S. If you're not doing Whole30, a bit of your favorite sweetener can be added to the coffee, along with a pinch of sea salt. The result mimics the taste of a chocolate toffee!

4 comments:

  1. Great post Meggy!!
    I really love the inclusion of the links, that really makes it easy to follow everything you're talking about!
    Can't wait to see some recipes, love the blog so far!
    ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki! I have a super simple recipe coming up soon! :)

      Delete
  2. So Megan, did you try with the thing I told you to use to make the foam? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't tried using a French press yet. It's just as good stirred and I'm lazy =P

      Delete