Thursday, January 30, 2014

Whole30 is finished {here's what I learned}

Even though my Whole30 is "finished" today, that doesn't mean I'm going to go crazy on the sugar or start making a gazillion "paleo" treats... My body reacts poorly to carbs and sugary treats tend to give me a huge shot of sugar-carbs - no matter how paleo-friendly the treats might be.

Even though my usual diet is pretty Whole30 compliant, I still learned a few things about myself during this period. For example:
  • I much prefer black coffee to sweetened coffee. My first stevia-sweetened coffee after the end of my Whole30 didn't even get drank it was so sickly sweet to my palate. (I'm thinking amazing coffee-based drinks, much akin to those sold at coffee shops, would be exceptions to this preference.)
  • I still crave chocolate. I don't think that will ever change.
  • Cashews, almonds, and pistachios are just as easy to overeat as sugar. And when eaten in large portions, can be just as disruptive to my system. I now know to limit my portion sizes.
  • Sunflower seeds and goji berries make an amazing snack - salty, sweet, chewy, crunchy, time consuming so I have the time to realize I'm full... amazing!
  • I'm apparently into a bit of self-torture as I didn't stop pinning dessert recipes during my Whole30 - even recipes I knew I could never make and safely eat because of the sugar load. (Just because it's "paleo" doesn't mean it's good for me - or for anyone else for that matter!)

Now that I have my first Whole30 behind me, I'm looking forward to a great year of food. My goals for 2014 are:
  • Find a balance between healthy eating and wise treat choices, one that is sustainable in the long-term and will keep me healthy and happy.
  • Try many new recipes from my most recently acquired cookbooks (and the ones I plan on buying soon!).
  • Create new recipes to "replace" all of my Belgian favorites - not only the regional dishes but also family staples.
  • Inspire others to experiment with their own diets in order to find their personal happy place - food can {and should} be health AND happiness!
Feel free to leave any goals you may have for this year in the comments below - who knows? You just might inspire someone yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment