Monday, January 13, 2014

What to do with those pesky seeds {roast 'em}

So, you've just made spaghetti squash to go with my paleo pesto, or maybe you chopped up a pumpkin to make some tasty pumpkin soup, or maybe...

Whatever it is you've done, chances are you have a handful of seeds leftover. Now, you can just throw them away (but that would be a shame) or you can roast them (and that would be delicious!).

Here I will share the basic recipe and method I follow, but feel free to mix things up by adding any spices you'd like - you can even go the sweet route if you feel so inclined.

These little roasted guys are great on their own, mixed into a homemade trail mix or even sprinked on top of soups and salads for an added crunch. Plus, they're a cinch to make.


Roasted Seeds
Ingredients:
  • Seeds from a pumpkin, squash...
  • Sea salt
  • Water
Method:
  1. Clean off most of the pumpkin from the seeds and place in a bowl. Cover the seeds with water and add about a tablespoon of salt for every handful of seeds.
  2. Let the seeds soak for about 8 hours, or overnight.
  3. Drain the seeds, rinse the bowl, and put the seeds back in the bowl.
  4. Melt about 1 tablespoon of ghee for every handful of seeds and pour over the seeds. Stir to cover well.
  5. Spread the seeds out on a non-stick or parchment-lined baking tray. Season with salt to taste. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 40-60 minutes, or until lightly browned.

4 comments:

  1. Keep it going Meg.. Your doing great.. being gluten free. I'm loving your recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a lot more than just gluten free ;-) But thanks!

      Delete
  2. Could you do a blog on Ghee?
    I remember the Model Guru using it all the time but I would like to read some info and stuff on it, I thought it was dairy but you can't have dairy... so I'm confused :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one planned and can probably get it up Friday - you'll see, it's super easy!

      Delete