Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Spicing up your homemade mayo {ideas & recipes}

I shared my basic mayo recipe here, but now let's talk about ways to spice things up a bit. First up are some simple ideas for making flavored mayonnaise. You can use these sauces right away, but for best results I recommend letting the flavors meld together for at least an hour or two in the refrigerator before eating. Click here to save the recipes to your computer.
 
Garlic Mayo {aioli}
 
This flavor is simple to achieve and one of my favorites for dipping meat in (think pita or kebab style meats). Simply mince up your desired amount of garlic and add it to your mayo.

I use my garlic press to do this and usually add about one clove of garlic for every 2-3 tablespoons of mayo.

Spicy Mayo 

This one is also great for dipping meats - I especially like this one with chicken! All you have to do is add your favorite hot sauce to your mayo. (Nom Nom Paleo has an awesome sriracha recipe!)

I never measure this one out, I just go by taste. Add a little if you don't like it hot, add a lot if you want to feel the heat. And the great part about this sauce is it can be used right away - no wait time! 
 
Bister L'Impériale Mayo
 
I've spoke about my love affair with this mustard before... and let me tell you, it's just as delicious mixed into my mayonnaise as it is eaten plain! I love this sauce spread over a slice of ham, topped with pickles, rolled up, and shoved into my mouth!

I usually use about 2 parts mayo to one part mustard when making this. If you don't have easy access to Bister (sad, I know), you can always substitute your favorite mustard (it just won't be nearly as good). 
 
Aioli, Bister L'impériale, and Sriracha mayos
 
And now how about a dressing recipe or two? I'm always playing with new flavor combinations, and here are some of my favorites:

Andalusia Dressing
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup homemade mayo
  • 2-4 tbsp of white wine vinegar, stuffing to desired thickness
  • 1-2 small garlic cloves
  • 20 green olives, pitted
  • 4 anchovy fillets (or a good squirt of anchovy paste)
  • 1 sundried tomato
  • Salt and pepper as needed

Method:

Mix everything together using a blender or immersion blender. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Especially wonderful served over a Big Ass tuna salad.


Green Caesar Dressing
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup homemade mayo
  • 2-4 tbsp white wine vinegar, depending on desired thickness
  • 1 tbsp dried chives
  • 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
  • 1 tsp dried garlic
  • 4 anchovy fillets (or a good squirt of anchovy paste)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Mix everything together with a blender or an immersion blender. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Let sit at least one hour in the fridge before using to allow the flavors to mix. Especially wonderful served over a grilled or crispy chicken salad.

And there you go! Five ways to spice up your homemade mayo! I'm still perfecting my ranch dressing and creamy Italian dressing, but I'll be sure to share those recipes with you as soon as they are ready. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Yum Yum!
    Is there something I can use in replace of the anchovies??
    BTW, have you ever seen the Disney movie 'Enchanted"?
    Well the princess is from a land called 'Andalasia", your Adalusia dressing makes me think of it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, no, I've never seen it, but I will always think of a princess now when making that sauce!

    As for the anchovies, they are what add a lot of the flavor to the sauce... but if you don't like them, you won't like the sauce all that much ;-P You could just add a dried tomato or two, for the flavor load, and call it something else =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Princess Sauce, yum :P

      I've never tried them, they just freak me out LOL

      Delete
    2. I was like that too before - don't be afraid! They add so much flavor!

      Delete