Friday, January 31, 2014

Recipe Symbiosis {Breakfast Quiche & CocoNana Chia Pudding}



I really dislike recipes that only use part of something, like my Chocolate Rochers, for example. (Recipe coming soon!) They only use an egg white. I've tried using the whole egg, and it does make a cookie, but it's not a rocher. I usually just save the egg yolk and eat it with breakfast the next day, but it still bothers me.

I really like finding a way to use all the parts of my ingredients to make recipes that go together, like the two dishes I'm going to share with you today.

These two recipes are amazing by themselves, but they come together quite nicely to create a perfect breakfast duo. And both are made in advance, making my morning meal super simple to throw together if I'm running late (which I almost always am).

The first is savory and full of veggies and protein. The great part is, you can change this up any way you want, using any meats and veggies you happen to have in the fridge.

The second is sweet and full of fruit and healthy fat - plus a good-for-you super food! What's not to love?

What is their common ingredient? Coconut. Most of the can is used for the second recipe, but a bit of the can is essential for the first. It's a wonderful relationship I look forward to each day!

I usually round this duo out with a mug of bone-broth based all-veggie soup, getting my day off to a great start!


Grab & Go Mini Breakfast Quiche

Ingredients:
  • 12 eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk/water
  • 1/2 cup chopped meat of choice
  • 1 cup chopped veggies of choice
  • Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
  • Any additional spices, to taste
Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
  2. Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and spices, if using. 
  3. Divide the egg mixture between 6 mini loaf pans, 12 muffin tins, etc.
  4. Divide the meat and veggies between the different molds.
  5. Bake 20-40 minutes, our until the tops are dry and lightly browned.
  6. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to one week.


CocoNana Chia Pudding

Ingredients:
  • The top half of a can of coconut milk (the solid part)
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk/water
  • 1 ripe banana, mashed
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • *optional: berries to sprinkle on top
Method:
  1. Mix all the ingredients together and place in the refrigerator.
  2. After one hour, stir/shake well. Leave in the fridge for at least 4 more hours to thicken.
  3. Serve chilled with fresh berries sprinkled on top. Keeps well in the fridge for a few days.

2 comments:

  1. what are chia seeds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.nuts.com/cookingbaking/chia-seeds/premium.html
      Read all about them here =)

      Delete