Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Paleo Shopping {where I get my veggies}

Knowing where to shop when eating paleo might be difficult at first, but it gets easier as you go. A big part of the paleo lifestyle is eating high quality food from trusted sources. I try to marry that mindframe with my itty bitty food budget by choosing high quality when the price is right and sticking to foods that won't make me sick for the rest.

Today I will be talking about where I buy my fruits and vegetables.

My husband and I wanted to join a basket-o-veggies per week program. After many weeks of researching all our local options, we finally decided on La Bourrache based here in Liège, Belgium, and we couldn't be happier.
 
La Bourrache is a company that helps unemployed people learn a new trade, farming, and they stick to the principle that the only foods worth eating are organic foods. Their baskets are varied, and they try their hardest to never include the same vegetable two weeks in a row. To assure a vaste variety of veggies (especially through the winter months), they buy from local organic farmers. We enjoy participating in this program because not only are we helping people who need it, we are getting the highest quality produce available to us from local farmers. It's a win for everyone!
 
Every Tuesday I pick up our delivery. We pay 7,5€ a week for the small basket and get about 3-4 kgs (about 6-9 lbs) of fresh, seasonal, local, organic produce. They have many drop-off points, and the one I chose just so happens to be in the parking lot where I park my car!
 
To see more examples of the veggies we receive each week, visit my Instagram @bepaleoandthrive
 
I highly reccomend this program to anyone living in the region. As for the rest of you, I'm sure you can find something similar. Another great side to receiving rather than choosing your veggies each week is you discover new foods! It's a great way to add a bit of variety to your diet and to force you to find new ways of preparing foods you don't especially like (did you know I used to hate beets?).
 
Yet another Fructose Baby...
We specifically chose the small basket though, so that we could complete our veggies with ones of our choosing. For these, we don't always stay in season, but we do try to buy local and organic when the option is given. We also buy fruits on occaison, though not that often as the hubster isn't a huge fan of them and I'm sensitive to fructose.
 
As a general rule of thumb, I follow the "Dirty Dozen, Clean Fifteen" guide (click here for a printable wallet-sized guide to take shopping with you!). And remember, every little bit counts. If you can't buy everything organic, start with the worst offenders and remember to always wash/peel the rest.

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of this little service! I cannot wait to be on post, I plan to go to the farmers market every week!! It would be so fun to do something like this, but I suppose if I have the farmers market it wouldn't really benefit me to do both LOL
    I love that printable, I'm saving it to print later, I always forget the "Dirty Dozen"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could still do both - it does force you to eat what they give you, and therefore it's usually pretty varied and often new. Then you could complete with veggies if your choice from the farmers market :)

      Anther good way to remember the dirty dozen is to print screen the picture =)

      Delete