Monday, January 13, 2014

I Love Spaghetti Squash {+ a pesto recipe}

I've posted breakfast recipes (here and here) and even a lunch recipe (more to come soon!), but I have yet to share a dinner with you. So let's change that.

I usually keep my dinners fairly simple: I choose a meat and one or two veggies. If I decide to get "fancy", I'll do something special with one of those and leave the rest simple, for example, stuffed chicken breasts and a simple green salad, or proscuitto-grilled eggplant with a regular pork chop. This helps keep things easy and fast, but still allows me to mix things up.

For this meal, I paired simple lamb merguez with simple spaghetti squash - but I topped it with a delicious paleo pesto!

My Momma and sister introduced me to the joys of spaghetti squash (served with some of Momma's delicious, homemade tomato sauce on top!) and I've been hooked ever since! It's just a little magic and a whole lotta delicious, rolled into in one beautiful veggie!
Spaghetti squash is very easy to prepare, and you can use it just as you would regular pasta. Just wash the gourd, cut it in half, empty out the seeds (save and bake them!), brush the cut side with olive oil, and bake at 180°C (350°F) for 40-60 minutes, or until it is fork tender.

When it's cooked, just use a fork to scrape out the "spaghettis" and enjoy! It's delicious plain, topped with a bit of ghee and sea salt, or, of course, with my delicious pesto :)

Paleo Pesto
save this

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup cashews
  • 1/4 cup almonds
  • 1-2 garlic cloves
  • 6 tbsp of olive oil
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Put all the ingredients in a food processor and process until fairly thin (some pieces of nuts may remain).
  2. Add more olive oil if needed.

7 comments:

  1. What is a merguez?

    I definitely have to make this pesto, sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a spicy lamb meat sausage =)

      Delete
  2. Hi, where do you buy your spaghetti squash from? I have looked in several places in Brussels and cant find them. Advise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I buy mine from a local health food store (L'Albinète) but they don't have them year-round. Hope that gives you an idea :)

      Delete
  3. Hi! Looks great! Do you know how these are exactly called in French or Dutch? I'm also having trouble finding them. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My local stores call them "courge à spaghetti" 😊

      Delete
  4. I would love to try it once, but I am afraid will be too difficult to find it in Gent.

    ReplyDelete