Sunday, January 5, 2014

I love mayo {+ my recipe!}

This post is dedicated to my Aunt Debbie, who has recently decided to join me in my Paleo lifestyle. She asked me the other day if I had tried any of the Paleo mayonnaise recipes, which gave me the idea to share my super simple mayo recipe here on the blog.
 
As I follow a Paleo lifestyle, I do my very best to avoid any overly processed foods. By definition, processed foods are foods that have been modified by man to be easily used. I eat processed foods such as canned coconut milk, but I draw the line when the ingredients are no longer "whole" foods.
 
This recipe yeilds a very creamy, mild tasting mayo, but I will be back soon with ideas of how to change things up a bit as well as a few dressing recipes. (Note, the pure olive oil taste may take a bit of getting used to. Now I find commercial mayonnaise disgusting.)
 
But for now, I'll just get on with the mayo...
 
The most important ingredient is the oil you choose. I personally prefer to use a light tasting olive oil, because the price is relatively low compared to other healthy oils. Don't skimp on the quality of the oil here. I've done that a time or two in an effort to save some pennies, but the flavor really reflects the truth: you get what you pay for.
 
Next up is the egg. Choose the best quality egg you can afford. The higher the quality, the more nutrients you'll get from your mayo.
 
As for the other ingredients, I use regular yellow mustard (this brand, for the Belgians reading this), white wine vinegar, and coarse ground black pepper and sea salt.
 
You'll also need an immersion blender and a wide-mouth jar big enough to accomodate the blender, to minimize clean-up afterward.
 
 
Paleo Olive Oil Mayo
save this recipe

Ingredients

  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups light tasting olive oil, depending on jar size
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 heaping tbsp of yellow mustard
  • +/- 10 turns of a pepper mill
  • +/- 20 turns of a salt mill
  • 1/2 tbsp of white wine vinegar

Method:

  1. Put the egg, oil, mustard, pepper and salt in the jar.
  2. Plunge the immersion blender to the bottom of the jar and turn it on at the highest speed setting.
  3. Slowly pull the blender up through the liquid, which should be emulsifying to a mayo.
  4. Work the blender up and down a bit, making sure to incorporate all the oil. The mayonnaise should be off-white or yellowish in color right now.
  5. Stop the blender and add the vinegar. Use the immersion blender once again to mix everything together. The mayonnaise should turn white now.

Use right away or store in the fridge for up to two weeks. (I've eaten mine as long as three weeks after making it with no problems, but I'm not going to suggest everyone do that.) The main ingredient in mayo is oil, and oil helps protect foods from the air which would allow bacteria to grow. There really is very little chance of getting sick from this.
 
Check back soon for flavor ideas and dressing recipes that use this mayo as a base!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you Meggie.....I've never had anyone dedicate anything to me...you ROCK. I am gonna try this soon and will let you know what I think. I have to get some more olive oil...I used mine up last night. I don't know what profile to select so I selected anonymous but its me....your A. Deb!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! It'll be soooo much better for you than the soy-based stuff you find in supermarkets. Be sure to let me know what you think!

      PS - Choose "Name/URL" and just type in your name the next time you wanna comment ;-p

      Delete
  2. How do you make these handy little recipe card type things?
    I wish they were printable, I plan to make my own mayo once the hubby comes home, I might copy this and put it in the recipe book :P

    (PS, do you think there is a way to can the mayo so it will be shelf stable?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want them to be printable, too! Maybe that'll be my weekend project... I'll message you to let you know about the dotted lines though, is super simple.

      As for mayo being shelf stable, I don't know... I'd have to look into it... why do you want it to be shelf stable?

      Delete
    2. YAY! Love the option to save and print now!!! Thank you!

      I like the idea of making things ahead of time so I can make a lot all at once lol!

      Delete
    3. You're welcome! Happy printing and prepping! :)

      Delete